turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rsonal88

Hi, I meed an info. I have filed taxes for 2018 and 2019 but did not get EIP1 how can I claim that? In 2020 I haven’t worked in IS so can’t file tax this year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Hi, I meed an info. I have filed taxes for 2018 and 2019 but did not get EIP1 how can I claim that? In 2020 I haven’t worked in IS so can’t file tax this year.

If you are a US citizen or resident alien, 100% of your worldwide income is taxable.  Therefore, if you had any income in 2020 you are required to file a tax return and pay tax on any income whether it was sourced in the US or not.  If you did not receive one or more of the stimulus payments, the only way to receive it now is to file a tax return and claim the Recovery Rebate Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rsonal88

I wasn’t in US in 2020 so I do not have W2 which I can file right now, in that case how I can claim my fiest payment? I have seen on IRS site they have weitten even non filers can claim but how it is not clear to me. Can it be filed without W2?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, even if you do not have a filing requirement, you need to file an income tax return to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit if you were eligible for the stimulus payments but did not receive them.

Recovery Rebate Credit eligibility

The credit is intended to give those who should have received a stimulus payment but never did a tax credit on their tax returns.  Any excess credit is then refunded to you if there is an overpayment on your tax return.

When you prepare your 2020 income tax return, be sure to do the following to ensure the credit is calculated correctly on your income tax return.

1.  In the Federal section, select the Federal Review interview section at the top of the screen.
  2. This will take you to the input section for the Recovery Rebate credit.
  3. Be sure to indicate the actual amount of each stimulus payment you received on the page that asks if you received a stimulus payment. 
  4. There will be two boxes and both need to be completed.  If you did not receive any stimulus payments, please indicate We didn't get a stimulus payment by checking that box.
rsonal88

But how can I file 2020 return without W2? What do I need to do?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You don't need a W-2 if you don't have one.  You just need to fill out your personal information and answer the questions as applicable.

The best thing you can do is go to TurboTax.com and start answering the questions.

Enter your information from your tax forms as prompted if you have any. 

TurboTax will take your entries and calculate any credits you might be entitled to.  When you get to the Federal review section, you will be asked about your stimulus payments.  Be sure to answer the questions as prompted to ensure the credit is calculated.  If you are eligible, the Recovery Rebate Credit will be calculated on your tax return any excess amount over any tax liability will be refunded to you.

rsonal88

Great. It was helpful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies