turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, my wife lives in Indonesia and we want to submit a W-7 form. We were wondering if a scan of her passport would suffice as a supporting document?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Hello, my wife lives in Indonesia and we want to submit a W-7 form. We were wondering if a scan of her passport would suffice as a supporting document?

Another option is to obtain a certified copy of the passport, with translation if necessary, from the issuing agency.

In the U.S. that is our Department of State.  Inside of Indonesia I believe this may be a task that can be completed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Perhaps a Community member will be able to chime in with information from their experience with this!  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, no.  You must either submit the original passport, a certified copy of the passport, or a certification form that you can obtain from a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA).  

You can find a list of CAAs near you by clicking on this link: IRS Certified Acceptance Agents.

Note that a CAA may charge a fee for services.

Thank you. Does it matter who certifies the copy of the passport? Is there a specific person or agency that it needs to be certified by?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Susan gave you the answer above - the documents supporting the W-7 application must be approved by a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA).

An alternative would be to mail your forms and original identity documents to the IRS, but few people would want to do that if there is a CAA nearby.

Note that CAAs are often (or even usually) associated with tax practices.

Ah okay, I am not sure what to do then because there isn't an agent in my wife's country so there wouldn't be a way for her to give the original passport to be copied.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Another option is to obtain a certified copy of the passport, with translation if necessary, from the issuing agency.

In the U.S. that is our Department of State.  Inside of Indonesia I believe this may be a task that can be completed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Perhaps a Community member will be able to chime in with information from their experience with this!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies