turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anurag46
Returning Member

Have question regarding Foreign Accounts - What is the Exchange Rate should I consider and what forms should I fill for the Interest that I earned

Hi,

I have question regarding Foreign Accounts :

a) What is the Exchange Rate should I consider for 2021 and what forms should I fill for the Interest that I have earned.

b) I am a joint holder in some of the account with my mother. How does the interest play in that case - Should we divide the Interest between me and my parent as she is also the joint owner.

c) Do I get some benefits if I have already paid taxes in India.

Thanks,

Anurag.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Have question regarding Foreign Accounts - What is the Exchange Rate should I consider and what forms should I fill for the Interest that I earned

You use the yearly average of foreign currencies from the IRS for calculating the dollar amounts.

You enter the interest from India in Schedule B as bank interest.

You can split the interest depending on the number of people if it is a joint account.

Yes, you can take credit for the taxes paid in India after including the income in the tax return.

• Open your tax return
  • Search for foreign tax credit
  • Click on Jump to
  • Enter the information
y6t

How do we adjust for depreciation in principal amount for a deposit in a foreign currency. E.g. if I deposit 100 INR as principal and I get 10INR as interest. However, the USD-INR exchange in the year of deposit was 70INR = 1USD and in the tax year it changed to 80INR=1USD.  In other words, the principal itself reduced in value due to exchange rate change. How do we account for that?

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Income and expense transactions must be reported in U.S. dollars on U.S. tax returns. Review a chart of yearly average currency exchange rates:

Average Currency Exchange Rates

@y6t 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

instead of an average you can use the currency exchange rate on the day of your transactions.

Inflation is reducing the value of everybody's money. IRS doesn't care about that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies