Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

whd89
Returning Member

Getting data from 2019 return to upload into 2020 form

When I downloaded the 2020 home and business tax form it only carried over names, addresses and a few other pieces of information from my 2019 return.   In previous years, when I downloaded that year's form a lot more data from the prior year, for example name or bank, broker, etc. plus numerical data on business incomes and expenses that would be in a column next to the current year.  How do I get this information pulled in?   Right now I am having to type it all in.  Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Hi,
I am having a similar issue.   This is the first year that I used a downloaded version.  I saved my 2019 return on a flash drive and need upload into 2020, however there is no option to import from a Turbo Tax file (only Quicken, etc).   I have a lot of data that I would rather not completely rekey.
Please advise how to upload the 2019 files into 2020.

Thank you so much.

TWMTWM

How do I upload all my 2019 info to 2020?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Please tell us what software you used and are using so that the information we provide will be specific. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@TUTxJACBFLO   Are you on Windows or Mac?  This is for Windows but might work for Mac too.

What file did you save from 2019?  Is it a pdf file or end in .tax2019?  First copy the file from the flash drive to your computer.   You should save it in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  

You need the .tax2019 file to TRANSFER (not import) into 2020.  You start over in a new blank 2020 return (go up to FILE-NEW)  and the first thing it should do is look for any 2019 tax files on your computer and ask if you want to Transfer from it.  If it doesn't find it you can browse to where you saved it.  

Here's general Transfer info

How to Transfer into the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

How to Transfer into the Windows Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-fo...

How to Transfer into the Mac Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-the-t...

I wouldn't bother trying to transfer from a pdf. It only transfers very basic info like your name and address and AGI.  If you used Turbo Tax you should have a data file ending in tax2019 on your computer or be in the same online account and it will automatically transfer.

I am having a similar issue.   This is the first year that I used a downloaded version.  I saved my 2019 return on a flash drive and need upload into 2020, however there is no option to import from a Turbo Tax file (only Quicken, etc).   I have a lot of data that I would rather not completely rekey.
Please advise how to upload the 2019 files into 2020.

Thank you so much.

You don't import from 2019.  You TRANSFER it.  You can only transfer when you first start a new blank return.  So go up to FILE - NEW and it should try to find your .tax2019 file.  If it doesn't find it you can browse to where you saved it.  It might help to move it to  your Documents and create a TurboTax sub folder.  Don't try to transfer it from the flash drive.  First copy it to your computer.  

@philvassar8   I made a couple screen shots.   Please let me know if this helps and you get 2019 transferred.

#1 There a couple different ways to start a new return.  Go up to FILE - NEW or click on the Start a New Return button.

New Start.jpg

#2 Then it will try to find a 2019 file to transfer.  Let it look for a long time, if it doesn't find one you can Browse to where it is.  

New Trans not found.jpg

Heisedb

how do I upload 2019 information to 2020

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can follow the instructions in the attached link to determine how to do this based upon the software you used last year.

Transferring last year's return into TurboTax online

@Heisedb

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have to do over my tax return but I have added my 2019.tax to my 2020.tax.

I am getting a return and I am in the green!

Thank you Volvogirl!  

Jim

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies