turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mksjt2007

How to add form 6251?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
Cindy0H

How to add form 6251?

Form 6251 is for Alternative Minimum Tax. You can find this under Federal...Other Tax Situations...Alternative Minimum Taxes. If it is needed for your return, TurboTax will generate and it will be efiled with your return.

regraktor

How to add form 6251?

TurboTax does NOT automatically generate Form 6251. You seem to be spreading misinformation

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

How to add form 6251?

Form 6251 is used by taxpayers to calculate their AMT or to determine if they are subject to it.  The IRS imposes the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) on certain taxpayers who earn a significant amount of income, but are able to eliminate most, if not all, income from taxation using deductions and credits.  To learn more, click here: AMT

To add Form 6251, here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • On the left menu, select Federal
  • From the top, select Other Tax Situations, select Alternative Minimum Tax
  • Follow prompts to enter info

@mksjt2007

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ryanrr
Returning Member

How to add form 6251?

I enter that information and it's still not generating form 6251. I think I have to file form 6251 even if I don't owe any AMT.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

How to add form 6251?

Alternative Minimum Tax, also known as AMT, is only assessed if it exceeds your regular taxable income calculation.  It would be included in your overall tax due and reflected on your Schedule 2 Form on line 1.  This amount flows into your 1040 Form line 23.

Please see the link below for more details on how AMT is calculated, the exemption amounts, and details on why you would be assessed with AMT.  If you don't meet the requirements, you will not have any AMT calculated on your income tax return.

What is AMT

Why am I getting AMT

AMT Exemption amount

@ryanrr

ryanrr
Returning Member

How to add form 6251?

Right, turbotax determined that I don't owe any AMT after the calculation. Is that why it's not generating the form 6251 (because it's not required when AMT is 0)?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

How to add form 6251?

Yes, if you are not subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT), TurboTax won't generated form 6251 Alternative Minimum Tax for your return. 

anzhu76

How to add form 6251?

There is a way to force Turbo tax include specific form.  Go to forms view, select the form you want to include in the efile, e.g., form 6251.  Scroll all the way to the end, and check the box "include form in return even if it is not required".  And it is a VERY GOOD idea to include 6251, I've heard stories that people receive IRS request later to include form 6251 even though they do not owe any AMT.  This is a bug that I wish Turbotax can fix, instead of relying on informed users.

kmatheus

How to add form 6251?

Possible to do this in the online version?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

How to add form 6251?

Form 6251 Alternative Minimum Tax is supported by TurboTax Online Deluxe and higher versions.

If you are not subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax, then Form 6251 will not be included with your return and you will not be able to add it using TurboTax Online.

Use the following steps to go to the section of your return for the Alternative Minimum Tax:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner) 
  • This opens a box where you can type in “amt” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to amt
  • Click on the blue “Jump to amt” link 

@kmatheus

How to add form 6251?

Is it possible to print this with Turbotax self-employed? My state will not accept my return without this document attached to the M1. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How to add form 6251?

If you're using TurboTax Desktop, go to FORMS and open Form 6251.  From there, you'll see the PRINT option at bottom left.

If you're using TurboTax Online, in the FILE section, save your return as a PDF to your computer.  Then you can open it, find Form 6251 and print that page.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies