turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

donaldziemann
Returning Member

Form 2210

I am using Turbotax 2018 Premier, run from a purchased CD.  After running the check on Federal taxes it says I need to fill out a 2210 form for a under payment penalty.  It says Turbotax is waiting on an update.  Is there an update coming or should I use the option to let IRS figure the penalty.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

36 Replies

Form 2210

I've got the same problem.  Hopefully, TurboTax will come out with a fix soon.

Form 2210

WAIT for the form release!!!!!!!!

In mid- January , the IRS announced they were  changing the "90% test" (line 5 of this form to 85%, so I suspect it's taking TT and others time to reprogram and test the software. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-waives-penalty-for-many-whose-tax-withholding-and-estimated-tax-pay...

so the penalty could be less or eliminated once the form is updated. It depends on the math that carries through the schedule 

Form 2210

I am getting error message.  Form 2210 Part II, Box A should NOT be checked, the penalty is zero.  I cannot uncheck the box.   If you also got this error message how did you correct.

Form 2210

TT just updated that form today..... maybe a bug?  suggest waiting for the next update and see if that is fixed.  if it is truly a bug, a lot of folks are going to have it.   

Form 2210

I experienced the same problem with the newly released form 2210.  The form does not seem to accommodate the "safe harbor" provision that there is no penalty as long as you withheld  or paid estimated taxes equal to or greater than what your 2017 taxes were or 110% of your 2017 taxes, depending on AGI.  Have to see what the next update bring.

Form 2210

What version of TT are yo using?

It works correctly in Desktop deluxe

Form 2210

I'm running TT Premier 2018 Desktop version.  TT checked the box on the form, not me.  Then TT asserted the error that the box should not be checked.  My estimated taxes paid were more than what my 2017 taxes were and more than my 2018 tax liability.  I did software development for 25+ years. Seems like a bug in TT to me but maybe I've missed something. Your withholding and estimated taxes paid situation may be different.  For example, from looking at the form, if one has withheld more than the 2017 tax liability Form 2210 exits very early.  Not my case as I pay quarterly estimated taxes, which cause a different flow through the form.

2210.jpg

Form 2210

Same issue as of Feb. 15.  The form 2210 is incorrectly checking Part 2, Block A is checked, but should not be checked, but no way to manually correct.  Deleting the 2210 does not correct the error.

Form 2210

I've got the same issue as all of you.  Tried everything to delete the entire form,  as well as un check the box.  Can't do either.

Too bad,  as I would like to file my taxes as I have a refund coming.

Also,  noted that when  I had done the Fed taxes about 2 weeks ago,  and even ran the "Smart Check",  everything was fine.   I thought it smart to hold off and wait a few weeks incase  I got any revised documents,  which I haven't.    Something in the past few weeks which updated,  apparently has a bug in it.  Hope TT  can resolve this soon.

Form 2210

the forms were radically changed due to IRS announcement in mid-January and it should reduce the penalty for many

before you posted the moderator posted this:

[Edited: Link invalid] This has been reported. Please sign up here for updates on when this will be resolved. Thank you!

Form 2210

I have the same problem and don't want to file until it is fixed but have a refund coming that I need badly.  I have DeLuxe

Form 2210

@pippy wrote:

I'm running TT Premier 2018 Desktop version.  TT checked the box on the form, not me.  Then TT asserted the error that the box should not be checked.  My estimated taxes paid were more than what my 2017 taxes were and more than my 2018 tax liability.  I did software development for 25+ years. Seems like a bug in TT to me but maybe I've missed something. Your withholding and estimated taxes paid situation may be different.  For example, from looking at the form, if one has withheld more than the 2017 tax liability Form 2210 exits very early.  Not my case as I pay quarterly estimated taxes, which cause a different flow through the form.

2210.jpg

I am in exactly the same position and want it fixed before I submit my tax return.  I have DeLuxe but that shouldn't matter.

Form 2210

How many of you make estimated payments?

Comparing to my form from last year, it seems TT isn't carrying Tax payments line 8 over to 2210 part III line 12.

Hopefully, they will fix this soon. 

Form 2210

I am an estimated payment user.  I assume most retirees do estimated payments especially if the are over 71 ½ and are required to take RMD if they have IRA's.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies