turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Forgot to update W4

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Forgot to update W4

Hello Ester,

You can update your W-4 any time during the year, it usually takes the employer 1-2 pay periods to start the new withholding. Here is the link to the 2022 W-4. Just fill it out and sign it then turn it in to your employer.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Thanks

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Forgot to update W4

If you are withholding as single when you are married that is not an issue and there is nothing to amend. Withholding at the single rate just means they are withholding more taxes from your pay each week and any excess comes back to you as part of your refund. If you change to married filiing joint they will withhold less takes each pay check but it will reduce your refund at the end of the year.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Forgot to update W4

I recently realized that I never updated the W4 and I been married since 2019 and until today I was being treated as 'single' on the payment slips.

If I been filing as married does it compensate and gives me back the extra taxes paid as single? Or I need to submit an amendment to the IRS?

How far back can I claim?

Forgot to update W4

Hello Ester,

You can update your W-4 any time during the year, it usually takes the employer 1-2 pay periods to start the new withholding. Here is the link to the 2022 W-4. Just fill it out and sign it then turn it in to your employer.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Thanks

Forgot to update W4

If you are withholding as single when you are married that is not an issue and there is nothing to amend. Withholding at the single rate just means they are withholding more taxes from your pay each week and any excess comes back to you as part of your refund. If you change to married filiing joint they will withhold less takes each pay check but it will reduce your refund at the end of the year.

Forgot to update W4

What you claim at work on the W4 doesn't have to match your actual tax return filing status.  It's just to tell your employer how much to take out.  You will get credit for all the withholding on your tax return.   I'm married but claimed Single on the W4 to have more taxes taken out.  

If you had claimed married you would have had less taxes taken out and would have a smaller refund or owed a tax due.  There is nothing to fix or amend.  If you change your W4 to married you may be surprised at the end of the year when you file your tax return and don't have as much refund.  

Forgot to update W4

Thanks for your support

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies