Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Income question TurboTax -- "Did Any Family Live With You?" Includes my Korean NRA Wife?

I am stuck on this and subsequent questions. (I think these were first for the FEIE and then for the foreign housing exclusion, etc.)

I got married legally in Korea in 2023 to a Korean Citizen (a Nonresident Alien/NRA for US tax purposes). I've lived with her in 2023 and still. 

Do I say yes to this question and consider her my "family" that "live with me"? Or is this asking about family back in the US that came to the foreign country to live with me? Screenshots show the first question and the second page that pops up if you say yes (otherwise it moves on to things I have done before).

Thanks. @rjs @DoninGA @Opus 17 

bbbbbbbbbb1.jpg

bbbbbbbbbbbb2.jpg

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Foreign Income question TurboTax -- "Did Any Family Live With You?" Includes my Korean NRA Wife?

I will page Champ @pk. Please check back.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@shanesnh , please look at my answer on your other post , wherein I have described  what to enter -- I used "Jane" as a stand-in for your -- wife> you are filing a Married Filing Separate ( MFS ) thus keeping her income out of US taxation and I suggested using a dummy SSN for her  ( to satisfy  TubroTax checks ) and then replace that with NRA ( after printing).  

Do you need  help on this .  Note that if things get more personal and/or of no interest to general user , you can always PM me ( just NO Personally Identifiable Information ).

Hi @pk yeah I saw that one and that's what I did (I left SSN blank for now and will put a dummy if it won't let me print out the return) but this question is a bit different since it popped up randomly when I was doing my foreign income (I did the FEIE and it went past that to the foreign housing exclusion and then this question popped up).

So, for this question, I don't know if I say "yes" because now I have a "family" here I'm living with (my Korean wife/NRA) or "no" because there was no family living with me from THE US. I think it's asking the latter... 

I answered this question as "no" in the past because I had no family here... But now I am married so my wife is technically my "family" I guess. So, I don't know what to do on this one. Thanks!

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@shanesnh , the question should be  interpreted as  " does / did your family live with you or did you have to set-up a different  place for them to stay while you are abroad" ?  My view is that since your spouse lives with you since the marriage , it  " is  "YES, my family lives with me and I did not set up a separate household for the family".

Dose this make sense  ?

@pk Is that what it asks? Since it asked me right after I put in the information for money provided by the foreign employer for housing and then housing expenses for the foreign housing exclusion (or whatever it is called), it looked like it was asking if I brought anyone from the US to this foreign housing to live with me at my "main house" or if I was alone. My "main house" became the same house as my wife (who was my girlfriend until a few days into 2023 when she became my wife legally in Korea). 

If I select "yes", I have to say the "dates" they lived with me. But really, I was already living with her in her home and we got married (and she's a Korean so a NRA for tax purposes). 

I imagined answering "yes" was for like military families or people being forced to relocate abroad and bringing their families to the house provided by the company (or a foreign house that they have to pay for themselves reimbursed from company, etc.).

If I select "no", it just continues to ask what kind of housing it is (purchased home, rented house, rented room, quarters furnished by [foreign] employer). 

What do you think? Is this for the foreign housing exclusion cuz I really don't need it. Do you think it matters?

Thanks in advance. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies