turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For unclear reason, turbotax online forces me to pay for a 'self employed' version which is more expensive than the premier version i started with. How can i switch back?

i am not self employed and never subscribed to anything related.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

For unclear reason, turbotax online forces me to pay for a 'self employed' version which is more expensive than the premier version i started with. How can i switch back?

Help with downgrading your TurboTax product has been provided for you below.

How do I downgrade?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Start over? Really? After you route me to a more expensive version without me asking for it? I guess i would rather buy a $55 desktop version or switch to a competitor product. Don't plan to use your web version in future.

@lex-k 

If you do switch to the desktop version, it's not necessary to start over.  You can download your *.tax2020 data file from your online account and continue it in the desktop product without starting over.   Here's how:

FAQ:  How to switch from TurboTax Online to the desktop software

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

The desktop products can all handle the same forms for the Federal return.  They vary by the amount of help and guidance. 

NOTE:  Basic Edition does not include a state program and cannot import from ItsDeductible.

Desktop Deluxe comes in 2 versions--a combo Federal and State version, and a Deluxe Federal-only version.  When purchased directly from TurboTax, Deluxe is the combo Federal and State version.  When purchased elsewhere, such as Amazon or other authorized reputable retailer, you have to be careful as to which version of Deluxe you are buying, depending on whether you need a state return or not.

Premier and Home and Business Edition both include a state program.

In the desktop product there is a $20 fee to efile a state return, except free for New York state.  The state efile fee increases to $25 in March.   There is no fee to print and mail the state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies