Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First year doing Self-Employed version. Import from Square is not working. It accepts my Square login but can't seem to get the info imported. What do I need to do?

It gives me choice to Enter manually or Try again. When I try again, it still doesn't work. When I try to enter manually, I can't figure out how to do it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

First year doing Self-Employed version. Import from Square is not working. It accepts my Square login but can't seem to get the info imported. What do I need to do?

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ for more assistance.

How to import from Square

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for trying to help. The Import from Square instructions don't work because my screen does not offer that option.  I have called and spoken to Turbo Tax and they don't know what's going on either. I've tried clearing cache and cookies, rebooting, doing it on a different computer, nothing gives me the option to import income from Square or even any other payment processor. And Self-Employed is the version that shows up under my name in the top left. At this point I think I will do it manually but since this is my first year doing Self-Employed, I'm not even sure how to do that. 

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can manually input your self-employment information as long as you have access to the information needed, into your TurboTax return, either paper or electronic.  Open your return and go to the income and expenses section and go to the line for Self-employment income and expenses and select edit/add.

That should take you to the screen where you can edit/delete, or add a new self-employment line. You should be able to add the new self-employment line and enter all the applicable information.

Here is an example of what you should see on the screen:

Add new self employment line

Same problem. Those responding do not get it. We know where to go. We know how to login. The error message says “hmm ... we couldn’t import your square payments”. The question is how do you do it manually? The promise of ease is missed in the lack of connection which is a reason I chose both products. Frustrating. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you can't get the form to download or imported directly into TurboTax, print out a copy or take a screenshot of the form to enter manually.    It gets entered under Other Self-Employment Income.  You can search for Schedule C then use the Jump to Schedule C link.

Then Edit your business and then add or edit Business Income.   @VI Mike

I was having almost the same problem -- Square imported at first, but I realized it only imported 3 months of sales from last year. When I deleted the info, the option to import from Square is not coming back up at all. I did a print out of my Square info for the year so I can enter the numbers manually. But I have a question about this...

Do I enter Gross Sales or Net Sales and where would I enter the service charges, returns, CC fees, etc.?

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you enter the gross sales as your sales, and then the returns, fees, etc. are entered as expenses. 

If you track inventory, you can report these cost under Other Costs to Prepare for Sales on the Inventory screen. 

If you do not report inventory, you can report the costs under Other miscellaneous expenses. 

Please note that TurboTax will make some suggestions about what you should enter here based on your industry. These are suggestions only. This section is for everything that doesn't fit somewhere else. 

Thank you so much for the help!

Jax97

I figured it out! So instead of using the turbo tax app, use your browser. That fixed my issue immediately. On the app it kept saying, can’t connect right now try again in a few hours. But I tried the browser/online and it worked immediately. Hope this helps!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies