turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FINDING LAST YEARS 1099S THAT WERE E-FILED

I EFILED 1099S LAST YEAR FOR MULTIPLE COMPANIES USING TURBO TAX FOR BUSINESS, NOW I CAN'T FIND THEIR FILES WHEN TRYING TO DO 2019 1099S. WHERE CAN I FIND THEM? THIS IS WHY I'VE ALWAYS HESITATED TO USE THE ONLINE 1099S OPTION.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Note: If you already have a tax return open, choose New Tax Return from the TurboTax File menu. Click Yes to save the return you currently have open.

1. On the home screen, click the blue box, Prepare W-2/1099.
  2. On the next screen, Choose where to prepare your forms, click the Choose Online box.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions.
  4. You will taken to the TurboTax Quick Employer Forms website.
  5. After you sign in, you should see a list of the businesses from last year.

If you chose to prepare the 1099s On My Computer last year, TurboTax will have created a file and saved it in C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\TurboTax.  It will have  W-2s & 1099s Tax Return in the file name.

Thank you for your response. I have done those steps. After logging in there are not any companies listed. I checked under the previous year tabs and it's blank. I processed over 5 companies last year and can not find them. Any other suggestions?

nicoleta01
Returning Member

I would like to know if I did something wrong using "the current year" to fill out all  1099 information for 2019, and e-filed?

I didn't receive any confirmation yet!.  only from you E-filled Success

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

You didn't do anything wrong.  In the tax preparation world, the "current year" is 2019.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I still haven't found my 2018 1099s I filed last year. I found the print out of those I filed - there were over 40 1099s filed for multiple companies - so I know I e-filed them. So where are they?

I'm very concerned because I just e-filed 47 1099s for tax year 2019. Are they going to disappear too? How can I be assured they will be there when I go to file the 2020 1099s? Will I have to re-enter them again like I did for 2019? I buy TT every year so I don't have to do that - I should be able to transfer from previous year!!!!

Someone that knows about the business TT product, please reply!

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax does not keep a copy of your W-2—the Wage & Tax Statement—issued to you by your employer, nor does TurboTax have copies of your 1099's. Please click this link to watch a TurboTax video that will walk you through how to retrieve your 1099's.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/video-how-to-recover-a-1099-tax-form/L6kv...

I don't think you are understanding my issue. Let me try to explain a different way.

I am a bookkeeper for multiple companies.

I prepare 1099s for my clients.

I purchase Turbo Tax Business to prepare the 1099s. 

When preparing the 1099s you are giving the choice of preparing them online ("RECOMMENDED WAY") or on your desktop. Prior to 2018 I always choose to prepare on my desktop ( I have been using TT Business for over 7 years). In 2018 I decided to prepare the 1099s for my clients using the Online Method so that I could e-file them.

I purchased TT Business 2019 and attempted to prepare the 1099s for the same clients I did in 2018. Their files are not showing up to transfer tax records to prepare them. It clearly says "TRANSFER PRIOR YEAR DATA FROM TURBOTAX BUSINESS" on the box. Where are the prior year's data to transfer? How do you save the returns to be able to transfer data to next year's TT Business?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax does not store a copy of your 1099, it allows you to prepare 1099 to e-file. 

mbwaits3

That recommended solution did not work.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Could you clarify what recommended solution did not work? Are you trying to access your 1099?

BayAreaBooks
Returning Member

Can you clarify that the description on the box the says "Transfers prior-year data from TurboTax Business" is false. TT EXPERT 

It only shows the tax returns I did, not the 1009's I filed. Where in heavens name are they located?

I have the same problem, did you ever find them?

BayAreaBooks
Returning Member

Where are the 1099s that I just e-filed this year? I needed a copy of a 1099 for the CPA and it only shows the Companies that I filed but not the 1099s. Directions say you can access the e-filed forms by going to TurboTax Quick Employer Forms - they aren't there. How do you find them?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies