Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing 2021 taxes online if 2020 taxes are not processed

I filed my daughter's taxes late for 2020 - she actually had a refund due to the stimulus money.

Since it was late, I had to file a paper return and send it in. It has still not been processed.

We did the 2021 taxes, and tried to file online, but it fails, since there is a security check to input the 2020 refund/tax amount.

She also receives a refund for 2021, but can't obtain it since it seems we can't file until the 2020 return in accepted.

Is there an acceptable work-around to the security check so that we can at least file the 2021 return? Should we just put in "0" for the 2020 tax due and proceed?

Any ideas on how to get the 2020 return processed?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Since the 2020 tax return has not been processed by the IRS enter a 0 (zero) for the 2020 AGI so you can e-file the 2021 tax return.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Since the 2020 tax return has not been processed by the IRS enter a 0 (zero) for the 2020 AGI so you can e-file the 2021 tax return.

Thank you.

Any ideas on how to get the 2020 return processed? It seems like we are just stuck, and have to wait it out.

@scotttiger - you are stuck and have to wait it out.  IRS generally processes in the order received, regardless of tax year.  When did you paper file that 2020 return?  Best I can tell from these boards and Facebook groups, appears the IRS is working on late Feb and early March paper filed returns. 

check her transcript for any clues on progress 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Thank you for the reply and the link. I will have my daughter try it, though I think she already made an account and found no progress...

We replied late December 2021/early January 2022. So, your post makes me think the thing is lost, if we are looking at February and March paper returns being processed.

The thing is, if it lost, how would we know, and when could we consider filing again? The refund is not a trivial amount.

@scotttiger 

but if there is "no progress" doesn't that mean they have it? chances are the IRS has the return....if there is any entry on Lines 27a, 28 or 30 of Form 1040, that could slow things down. 

also review WMR: https://www.irs.gov/refunds 

here is what the IRS website states:  (note that if there is an issue doesn't mean they have completed processing) 

As of August 12, 2022, we had 9.3 million unprocessed individual returns received in calendar year 2022. These include tax year 2021 returns and late filed tax year 2020 and prior returns. Of these, 1.7 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 7.6 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take more than 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to January 2022 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors. We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take more than 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before January 2022 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

She filed Dec2021?  I think the post above might mean they are processing Feb March in 2021, not 2022.

@VolvoGirl - IRS is currently processing paper returns submitted in late feb / early March, 2022 best I can tell from posts on this board and other boards.  OP states they submited a paper return in late 2021 (the tax year doesn't really matter since IRS generally processes in order received, but OP states it was the 2020 tax return).  

@scotttiger figure it will take the IRS 9 months to a year to get to it. until they put it into process nothing will show up in WMR.

but per the IRS website, everything received in 2021 has been put into processing  (some have errors so are in limbo), so should be accessible on WMR tool.  

@NCperson the original post suggested they may have filed in 2022. 

Thank you. This little hack worked, and she received her refund about a week ago.

Now, if we could just get the 2020 processed...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies