Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hopkinsb

Filed 2018 Fed Tax Return electronically Apr 14, 2019. Printed voucher & paid $931 to IRS. IRS never received paperwork from Turbo Tax so no $1,200 relief payment. Help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Filed 2018 Fed Tax Return electronically Apr 14, 2019. Printed voucher & paid $931 to IRS. IRS never received paperwork from Turbo Tax so no $1,200 relief payment. Help

what was your taxable income? 

If your income is too high, no EIP for you.

@hopkinsb There is a lot missing from your story.  First of all --- TurboTax does not file paperwork for you.  It is up to you--only you-- to file your tax return.  You do that  by e-filing and going all the way through the FILE section to click a big orange button that says "Transmit my returns now" -- and then you watch your emails to make sure the return is accepted.  If it is rejected you either have to fix it and e-file it again or print , sign and mail it.  TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.  If you chose to file by mail then you have to print it, sign it, and mail it yourself.  And you should use a mailing service like certified mail to track it so you know the IRS received it.  So---somewhere -- something went wrong.  Either you did not go far enough and e-file it, or the return was rejected and you did not follow up, or you thought TT was mailing it for you  (which never happens).  

What does your account say for the 2018 return?  Does it say "accepted," "rejected", "printed," or "ready to mail?"    If it says anything other than accepted it did not go to the IRS unless you put  it in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.

If the return was not filed, then print it and mail it now.  

The IRS can look at your 2018 or 2019 return to issue a stimulus check.  If they do not have a 2018 return then you may be waiting for them to finish processing 2019 before they will be able to use it to issue your stimulus check.

TurboTax has no control over your stimulus check, nor can TT track it for you or tell you when the IRS will issue it. Refer to the sites linked below:

You can call the IRS hotline at 1-800-919-9835 to get updates on your stimulus payment.  

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#nonfilertool

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

If you did not receive the stimulus money this year, you will have a chance when you file your 2020 return in 2021.  The stimulus money received in 2020 was an advance on a credit you will be able to get on your 2020 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
hopkinsb

I did file it electronically on Turbo Tax...I did "Transmit My Returns now" and I have a receipt from Turbo Tax showing that.  (same for 2019 Tax Return as well).  And, I mailed in my payment with the IRS voucher both years and I know the checks were received by the IRS.

And, I also mailed the signed paperwork to the IRS after I received notice from them (unfortunately the notice came almost a year later [Feb 2020] that they hadn't received my paperwork.

Been using Turbo Tax and filing electronically for several years, and this has been the 1st time there has been an issue. 

I've already been to irs.gov multiple times (created an account earlier this year) and clicked on those links...didn't find the information helpful for my situation because I've done all that I should have done to have my taxes filed correctly, plus I've sent in my payments (April 2019 and July 2020) and I know the IRS has received them.

"I have a receipt"    Paying your TurboTax fees did not file your return.  Does your account say the 2018  e-file was accepted?  You say the IRS sent you a letter a year later about not receiving the actual tax return, so you printed and mailed it then.  And you filed your 2019 return and it was accepted.

TurboTax is not at fault--so not sure what you expect from TT about this.  This may be an IRS mistake.  The IRS does make mistakes.  The $1200 stimulus was an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 return.  So you should be able to get the stimulus money when you file your 2020 return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies