Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal tax return rejected because showing duplicate 1099 R

I E-filed Our Federal tax return and it was rejected because they said there were 2 duplicate 1099 R's  from Nationwide Life and Annuity.  The only difference on the 1099 R's was my account number.  I do have 2 different accounts with Nationwide Life.  How do I proceed with refiling and getting this accepted.  

thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Try changing the box 1/2 amounts on one of the forms by adding $1.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sshcpa

I got the same error.  I have 2 1099-R from Fidelity Investments (2 different transactions) and 2 1099-R from Thrivent (2 different accounts).  All four are correct.  It should be ready to file.  How do I get Turbo tax to allow the efile?  Should I combine the 2 1099-Rs as one entry (for Fidelity and Thrivent)?

I have my IRA invested into 13 different mutual funds at the same institution and have 1,000 RMD coming to my me monthly.  In the TT download each distribution is downloaded individually so I have 156 different 1099-R's all for the same amount.  Are you suggesting I go into each of these and add $1, I'd still have the same problem just 155 times instead of 156.  Obviously, to make them all unique I'd have to start adding all sorts of different amounts adding hours to my downloading effort.  Sort of defeats the entire purpose of downloading, doesn't it.

Additionally, doesn't box 16 for state have to be changed also?

Jog2

The IRS rejected my tax return because it thinks there are duplicate 1099R forms. We do have 2 1099R forms, one for my husband and one for me.  The ID numbers are separate and correct for both.  Please help me.

Ok this is what I had : Our Federal tax return was rejected because it said I had a duplicate 1099 Rs.  The amounts were the same on both 1099 Rs.  One was in my husband's name and one in my name and they had different acct. #s.  and they were from them same company.  One of the advisors from Turbo Tax told me to add $1 to one of them.  So I added the $1.00 to one of them.   I also had 2 1099 Rs that were the same amount and same account number and also had to add $1.00 to one of them so that the amounts were different.    I resubmitted the Fed Tax Return and it was not rejected after making those changes.  Hope this works for you.  Call Turbo tax if you have further troubles.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies