Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

Where are you seeing a resolution date of 2/5?  The IRS Known Issues and Solutions spreadsheet you linked to does not identify a resolution date.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

Since I am due a decent refund from both federal and state I will head over to HRB online this weekend and file without the rejection hassle, sad, been a TT user for years, never a problem  

@cjtaxguy 

The date was 2/5/23 until about an hour ago - now changed to "sometime in late February to mid-March 2023." Anyhow the projected date is in there - look again:

• Go to that IRS page
  • Click the link for the 2022 spreadsheet and open the file
  • Scroll down to find Form 8960 (currently line 74)
  • See the "Projected Resolution Date" column (currently column F)

As of Friday, February 3rd at 5:22PM CST it still says 02/05/23 for the resolution, not mid-March. You were looking at the next line item 75.

@tanochurch4 

Sorry, but you're not reading it correctly: [removed link] and it definitely says, "Business Rules will be updated sometime in late February to mid-March 2023" in row 74, column F...

@BligBlueLaser I stand corrected, it looks like I had to download the file to get the latest update. Looks like it's time to file on H&R Block, makes no sense to have to wait that long for a correction.

I was considering moving to H&R Block too but wouldn't they run into the same problem e-filing? since its an IRS issue.. 

I've been using TT for years and even purchased the Audit Defense this year.  Now is our only recourse to do HRB? I've never used that--is it easy?  Online?

So all this money for TT, Audit Defense and state filing down the drain?

@thisisatest other poster's have stated they had no issues filing with H&R Block after getting their return reject by TT. I just spoke with a TT rep and requested a refund. They sent me a link to request a refund, but I doubt I'll get one. I'm owed a refund this year but probably won't go through the hassle of refiling on HRB this year but I will certainly consider another option next year.

Those who filed with HRB—can one import the info already in our TT form?

Following. Looking for info on whether HRB has this issue?

@thisisatest 

Based on what others report, the answer is that your e-file might go through with HRB.

However (also based on one of those reports) it might be working because HRB does not include Form 8960 in filings even though it may have been required by new IRS rules.

See my earlier reply somewhere above that contains the new (TY2022) Form 8960 requirements. No idea if the IRS really cares or not, but I’m hoping to hear from someone who can confirm the return was accepted (and refund scheduled/sent) without Form 8960 - even if they met the MAGI threshold that would require a 8960.

It’s a hot mess…

8960 is for investment income. Wages are excluded, as are wages subject to self employment tax 

I no longer have any confidence in TurboTax.  It is unbelievable that noone from the company has officially responded on this thread.  Are they just hoping more customers whose returns are repeatedly rejected sign up for their audit service???  Now the IRS website is stating "Business Rules will be updated sometime in late February to mid-March 2023".  Are you kidding me when returns sent in from competitors software are going through? Anyone from TurboTax out there??? Please provide some guidance here!!

I think the solution is for TT to simply eliminate form 8960 - there should be a question that asks "Do you need Form 8960 - Rental Income - you click either Yes or No and if No the TT software should not add it. Can anyone get through to TT to make this suggestion?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies