Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

@kristipalmer  Thank you so much for letting us know about that user stealing the content. I have reported them and reposted + pinned it back here where it was so everyone reading this thread knows this important information.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

@BligBlueLaser 

@kristipalmer 

The post has been unpinned and removed again! WT actual F

This time I edited my 2nd post and pasted it in there and pinned it AGAIN.

Just got this: This reply was marked as spam and has been removed. If you believe this is an error, submit an abuse report

Someone is trolling, lying, plagiarizing, and playing games. I'm done with TurboTax.

I had the same rejection and ended up redoing my taxes and re-filing with HRB last night (for an additional $110, still less than half what I paid for TurboTax Self-Employed with the same benefits). My return was accepted by the IRS within a few minutes. I put in a refund request to TurboTax through my Intuit account page, noting that TurboTax did not inform me of an issue that was known to Intuit at least a full week before I attempted to e-file and was charged almost $250 for the privilege. The original request was denied with the message that 

“… our Satisfaction Guaranteed policy only covers TurboTax CD/Download products. TurboTax Online is designed not to charge the customer until after they choose to file, so it is not covered under the Satisfaction Guarantee.” I put in another request this morning with the reasons “unhappy with product” and “unhappy with customer service” checked, and asked them to escalate and reconsider since I would never “choose” to file with TurboTax had they informed me of the issue and told me I’d have to file paper by snail-mail, wait 8+ weeks for a refund, and hope no one stole my identity in the meantime. 

If they don’t budge, I plan to dispute the charge with the credit card company, since I’ll be able to document my attempts to work it out with Intuit to no avail. I’m a near-20-year TurboTax customer but may not be one any longer after this experience.

The IRS project list still has a late Feb to mid-Mar completion estimate for their rules fix.

@TSumm  I also requested a refund and it was quickly denied and the ticket/request closed with no opportunity to provide add'l info or request escalation etc. I opened a new ticket requesting escalation/reconsideration and it was immediately denied. I then called the support phone # (1-800-446-8848and requested the refund and the person on the phone processed it immediately. I don't know if I got lucky or if you have a better chance in general by calling, but I recommended giving it a shot. 

So I'm not understanding why H&R Block has a work around for this and TT doesn't if it's an IRS issue...

Why do you have to post the same thing 4 times???

@alexclaytor 
I’m unsubscribing from this post. What a horrible experience: starting with the lack of direction from TT, and now petty internet politics from one of their designated “Champ/Level 15” users.

Absolutely awful…

@BligBlueLaser   I don't blame you. Someone is playing games, the posts are back. Wonder for how long this time.

Anybody get anything yet because my return is still being rejected with this message so it’s clear it was not resolved on February 5. Ad everybody else I have no rental income so this form isn’t necessary.  TurboTax is saying it’s an IRS issue and when I was on the phone with the IRS this morning for three hours they are saying yes this is an issue Because of how TurboTax software is formulating things. It’s really as simple as us deleting form 8960 but as it was said before when you do that it just re-produces it and comes right back. This is so frustrating and I’ve talked to now 6+ experts and they all have different answers . 

I'm in the same boat as most of you. No rental income, but Wife has a 1099 for extra income. Same as last year, had zero issues. Have used TT for over 20 years, back in the day when you needed the DVD to do your taxes each year. Is it too much to ask for TT to have communicated back to each customer in an email when this all went down. The send so many emails out to each of us, why could they not have sent a mass email out to all customers who have filed, and all who have not, informing them of the known issue and with their instructions on how to proceed. It's the not knowing that is the worst. Not good on their end as far as customer service goes. Come on TT, I know you have people monitor these forums , do the right thing and talk back to us. 

@alexclaytor 

Looks like my original post was added back

I guess moderation at TT works so we’ve got that going for us  😂😂😂😂

First of all, I want to personally thank all of you for these posts.  For real.  Your comments and questions have given me a better understanding of this issue.  Like many of you, I have used Turbotax for many years.  Like many of you I was shocked to receive the "Federal return rejected" message.  Partly because of the cryptic "explanation" from Turbotax, my first thought was that I had screwed up... and I spent WAY too much time going over my return in great detail.  To the best of my ability, the return was 100 percent accurate and honest.  What was "new" to my return was Form 8960.  I am not a tax expert but my layman take on this form is that it is for passive types of income when the 125/250k thresholds are met.  This year we were required to take Required Minimum Distributions and that pushed us over the threshold and we had some dividend and interest income.  What DIDN'T look right to me was that my wife's "active" consulting income was reported on 4a and then zeroed out on 4b.  Hmmmmm....

I'm originally from the Midwest and I have an old school mindset.  I believe that "good business" means "good communication with customers" and Turbotax has failed us in this regard.  How much different might it have been if the original rejection notice had been worded more like this:  "Business Rules F8960-019-04 and F8960-003 may cause returns to erroneously reject. These business rules need to be modified to reflect the updates to the Instructions for Form 8960 (Tax Year 2022) regarding the Specific Instructions for Line 4a to include Schedule C (Form 1040) amounts reported on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 3 and Form 1041, line 3.  This is not your fault.  We are communicating with the IRS and we anticipate a fix in the near future.  We will keep you posted in the interim and provide you with guidance on when and how to refile your return.  We are sincerely sorry for this inconvenience and we value your business.  In the interim, we would advise you not to refile until you have received further direction from us."

By now, we should have received one or more updates from Turbotax and we haven't.  Turbotax may not be ultimately responsible for problems with Form 8960 but TT IS responsible for the way it communicates to its customers.  I'm not impressed...  And speaking of communications, can any of you share with me HOW you can contact Turbotax staff by phone or text-chat?  I can't find that contact information anywhere.

OK... so thank you for letting me vent.  I am going to take another slow sip of bourbon, enjoy the semi-warm California sunshine, and await further instructions from... someone.

Sail on...

I went to accounts.intuit.com, logged in, and chose the Products and Billing tab on the left side of the screen. At the bottom of your list of product purchases, there is a blue “Request or Track a refund” link, which takes you to a series of screens where you identify the purchase you want a refund for and enter reasons and details. After you submit it, you’ll get a case number on the screen and by email.

@beachnit 

So glad it's helping!!! That's exactly why I spent 90 minutes yesterday putting it together - to help anyone giving themselves brain damage trying to understand this rejection code...

If @alexclaytor wants to add my original "All your questions answered" reply back as the best answer (i.e., where people will actually see it), I'm happy to go back to keeping it updated with the latest info - and more "reality check" QAs. Crazy questions/schemes are being posting here as we speak (people basically writing: "Should I file a false return and/or commit tax fraud so the IRS will accept my e-filing today versus two weeks from now?", "Good news! I just changed my return using totally fictitious numbers and my filing wasn't rejected!", etc.).

Let me know, Alex...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies