turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

@Tim Jin 

Repeating myself, but you may want to look into what HRB is doing with your Form 8960 Line 4b if your Schedule C income is non-passive (unless you enjoy paying extra taxes for no reason).

Everyone agrees TT is doing a very poor job of communicating on the issue, but at least their software asks if the your Schedule C income is non-passive AND subtracts that amount on Line 4b, thereby saving you from an additional 3.8%.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

4b is empty

@Tim Jin wrote:

4b is empty

If 4a includes non-passive income and 4b is empty, you're getting overtaxed.

While TT, TaxAct, HRB, et.al. users are all waiting on the IRS to fix an issue affecting everyone, it sure sounds like HRB also has an HRB problem.

@Tim Jin 

Sorry to impose but may I ask just to confirm my suspicion: is the amount on Line 17 ("Net investment income tax for individuals") on your HRB Form 8960 greater than Line 17 on your TT Form 8960?

My concern for you is that HRB may be calculating your NIIT based on investment income plus non-passive income (which was not subtracted on Line 4b even though it is not subject to NIIT).

Thanks for the message saying HRB was rejected.  I was about to embark on the HRB experiment.

It's just like getting stuck in traffic, a complete standstill.  You don't know know when, or if, the accident a mile up will be cleared.  So you debate jumping the center median in your SUV and using Google Maps to reroute you... maybe... I always choose jumping the median.  At least you're doing something.  But, in this case I think saying in line, waiting for the fix which the IRS says on their project list will be late Feb or mid-Mar is the best option.  

looks to me that the IRS is not going to have this fixed until the end of February mid March.

which is ridiculous. but they expect us to pay them on time. 

I tried FreeTaxUSA and was also rejected on there. Trying H&R Block, but it sounds like based on the recent feedback that now has a decent chance of rejection as well. My tax return wasn't any lower on there. What a clusterf#@%. 

So has anyone tried to use another tax preparation software? Is this TurboTax specific?

See above

I see it now.  Apologies, the replies weren't being sorted by new on my computer. Sounds like the only option is to wait until Late Feb to Mid March for this.  Been a TurboTax user for 8 years, never had one rejected like this.

Same here...got to love the IRS.

I’m with you I’ve been using TurboTax for probably 15 years and I’ve never had one rejected. I’m just surprised that it even allowed us to e-file and didn’t find the error. It’s just so amazing that we hear nothing  officially from TurboTax.

After all this aggravation, I’m all for a national consumption tax I guarantee you they would take in even more money because you have so many people that are getting paid under the table and not paying any tax at all. That’s how the states like Florida that don’t charge, any state income tax do it that way it’s fair for everybody. If you want to buy the big ticket item then you’re going to pay for it 

[Updated Feb 17, 2023]

According to Turbo Tax: This issue will be resolved on February 19, 2023. On or after this resolution date you may resubmit this return for electronic filing.

[Updated Feb. 10, 2023 7:55AM EST]

Still no updates from the IRS, though TT employees are still suggesting to some users that an IRS fix is imminent.  Stay tuned...

Meanwhile two developments with HRB users: *many* of the people who claimed their filings were "accepted" at HRB are now receiving the exact same rejection - it just took longer to get rejected with HRB; and HRB appears to be completing Form 8960 correctly (deducting "non-passive" income on line 4b).

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST BEFORE COMMENTING

Why was my TurboTax e-file rejected by the IRS with Reject Code F8960-019-04?

THIS IS NOT A TURBOTAX ISSUE!

REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A TURBOTAX ISSUE!

ONCE MORE, THIS IS NOT A TURBOTAX ISSUE!

The IRS has confirmed a “Known Issue” in their systems which causes valid e-filings to be erroneously rejected. The issue can affect anyone filing Form 8960, regardless of which tax prep service they use.

From the IRS spreadsheet of 2022 "Known Issues":

Business Rules F8960-019-04 and F8960-003 may cause returns to erroneously reject. These business rules need to be modified to reflect the updates to the Instructions for Form 8960 (Tax Year 2022) regarding the Specific Instructions for Line 4a to include Schedule C (Form 1040) amounts reported on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 3 and Form 1041, line 3.

Only the IRS can fix this issue!

When will I be able to e-file my taxes? How will I know when the issue is fixed?

You may not be able to e-file until sometime between late February to mid-March 2023. There is no other answer. You must wait until the IRS fixes a known issue in their systems! Be patient!

From the latest IRS’s 2022 “Known Issues” spreadsheet (Row 74),: “Business Rules will be updated sometime in late February to mid-March 2023.”

I'll update this post when we know the issue is fixed, but the best way to know is to check the spreadsheet on the IRS’s website from time to time to see if there have been any updates.

Or you can wait for a notification from TurboTax that may never come...

CAUTION: A few folks have mentioned that the IRS has a limit of five (5) e-file attempts before requiring that you paper file, though it's not clear if that's true. Just in case, I recommend against hitting the "File My Taxes" button as a way of checking if the IRS has fixed the problem. Instead, check the IRS's "Known Issues" spreadsheet for updates, or check back here for updates.

But I know this is a TurboTax problem, not an IRS problem! I have the evidence…

Your evidence is wrong. The IRS says this is an IRS problem.

Open the IRS’s 2022 “Known Issues” spreadsheet and read Row 74.

But TurboTax review said I had no errors, and I was rejected anyway. Isn't that proof that TurboTax is the problem?

In a word: NO. The TurboTax review checks your tax return for errors. It does NOT review IRS systems for "Known Issues" and errors in their business rules.

Your return was rejected because of a "Known Issue" with IRS systems that results in erroneous rejections. The IRS specifically states this in their 2022 "Known Issues" spreadsheet (Row 74).

TurboTax stinks! I’m going to use H&R Block, TaxAct, FreeTaxUSA, etc.

MANY, MANY users of TaxAct, H&R Block, FreeTaxUSA, and other tax prep services are reporting the exact same erroneous rejection. If you’re receiving this rejection code with TurboTax, your ability to e-file will NOT be different with another tax prep service.

The problem is an IRS “Known Issue” – it is not a problem with any specific tax prep service.

But I just filed with H&R Block (or "H&R Block just accepted my return")

Are you sure your return was accepted by the IRS? Just because H&R Block didn't immediately throw an error/rejection, or said "accepted," does not mean the IRS has accepted/approved your return!

If you tried to use HRB, check Line 4b of your Form 8960 on H&R Block. If it is $0, see note for H&R Block users further down in this post.

Will the IRS accept my return if I delete my 1099s, or if I fudge the numbers, to avoid their faulty business rules?

A few folks have posted about avoiding the erroneous rejection by deleting 1099s (i.e. not reporting income), fudging numbers (e.g., entering fictitious rental income), or entering zeros (i.e., not following the instructions for Form 8960).

All of these things are bad ideas:

• You would be knowingly filing a false return
  • If you want to keep it honest, you'll have to amend your return later
  • There is no guarantee that any of these schemes will get your return accepted by the IRS

You'll be able to e-file within just a few weeks (or sooner). Be patient. Tax fraud is not the answer.

A TurboTax employee told me to delete Form 8960, or change Line 4a/4b to $0, and then try to e-file again

Sadly many TT employees don't seem to know what they're talking about. Any advice other than, "You must wait for the IRS to fix the issue" is bad advice. It is very likely that your Form 8960 has been filled in correctly by TurboTax. The problem is probably not with your Form 8960.

If I can’t e-file now, I'll just file my return by mail

This is probably a very, very bad idea!

Paper filers are experiencing extraordinary delays - of two years or more – for getting their returns processed and refunds issued. Don’t you think it’s a better idea to be patient and wait until the IRS fixes this particular problem?

Why is TurboTax filing Form 8960? I don’t have rental income (or any other reasons you think you don’t need this form)

The error code “NetRentalIncomeOrLossAmt” from your rejection notice is misleading - it is not a literal description of what Form 8960 is used for. Do not take it literally!

In all likelihood, TurboTax is including Form 8960 because you are required to file Form 8960!

According to the 2022 Form 8960 instructions from the IRS (page 1), you are REQUIRED to file this form if your MAGI (generally the same as AGI, found on Line 11 of your 1040) exceeds one of the following thresholds:

• Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Widow(er) is $250,000.
  • Married Filing Separately is $125,000.
  • Single or Head of Household is $200,000.

If Line 11 of your 1040 exceeds the amount above, you MUST file Form 8960.

Why is my Schedule C income/loss included on Line 4a? That’s not rental income!

TurboxTax is completing Form 8960 correctly!

Repeat, TurboxTax is completing Form 8960 correctly!

TurboTax includes your Schedule C income on Form 8960 Line 4a because the IRS instructions for Line 4a (page 6) say you must include your Schedule C income on Line 4a. This is a new requirement as of TY2022, and the IRS's failure to update its systems with this new requirement is why your return was rejected.

Also note, any non-passive portion of that income/loss should be subtracted on Line 4b (see page 6 of the IRS instructions). Your Schedule C income/loss is “non-passive” if it is from a business in which you actively participate. If your non-passive income is NOT deducted on Line4b, you will pay the 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT) on the Line 4a amount even though it is not subject to the NIIT.

H&R Block users should read the special note at the bottom of this reply.

TurboTax stinks! “I want a refund” or “I’m calling my credit card company to reverse the charges”

First you should ask yourself these questions:

• Do I understand that users of all tax prep services (H&R Block, TaxAct, FreeTaxUSA, et.al.) are getting the same rejection because the IRS has not fixed this “Known Issue” with IRS systems?
  • Do I really want to re-enter my tax data with a different tax prep service when I am likely to be rejected there as well?
  • If I get a refund from TurboTax, what tax prep service am I going to use to file my 2022 taxes?

Attention H&R Block Users

Although this seems to be fixed (or maybe it was never broken?), there were several anecdotal reports that H&R Block software was not subtracting "non-passive" Schedule C income on Line 4b, which would result in a 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT) being levied on income that is not subject to this tax. Compare your HRB and TT Forms 8960 - especially Lines 4a, 4b, and Line 17 (NIIT owed) - to be sure you're not paying too much.

@BligBlueLaser  Agreed and done, thanks! It seems most won't see it though, they seem to treat a forum like FB lol.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies