Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

I've had the same issue and have posted in this thread previously. I reached out to a tax consultant about my business scenario and the generation of form 8960, and he agreed that the form is incorrect for my business scenario: there is no logical reason it should be generated as part of my return.

I reached out to TurboTax customer support and spoke with Suzanne (who did not introduce herself until after I asked for her name). She was unable to help and seemed stuck on the need to see my screen, but TurboTax online was not providing the "access code" she needed to see my screen, although I logged out and logged back in several times.

Long story short: she advised waiting until 2/5 per the IRS projected update, and refiling at that time. I asked about a refund for TurboTax, and she said that yes, if the submission failed again on 2/5 that I could request a refund.

I found a link to request refund directly via https://accounts.intuit.com/app/account-manager/productsBilling?loc=en-US&rgn=US --> there is a "request or track a refund" link near the bottom of the page.

If TurboTax cannot successfully submit a filing by 2/6, I will continue to assume this is a TurboTax issue and will refile with another tax preparer.  

Despite having been a TurboTax customer for the last 15 years, this issue is so frustrating -- including the complete lack of insight and long wait times with customer service -- that I am likely to switch to whatever provider is able to successfully submit this return.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

Thanks for the info on the refund! If mine fails after 5 Feb I too will demand and full refund and just go to H&R Block online like others in this thread have. TurboTaxes handling and communication of this is terrible.

Same here. If after the 5th I have to pay someone else, I want a refund from Turbo Tax for the purchase of this product this year. Very frustrating, indeed.

I've bad news for you re: refund. Intuit's policy is no refund on the online version once you've paid - whether or not their software is faulty and won't allow for e-filing. I know because I submitted a request and was given the following boilerplate response: 

"We are unable to process the refund for TurboTax Online product Case #XDXXXXXX because our Satisfaction Guaranteed policy only covers TurboTax CD/Download products. TurboTax Online is designed not to charge the customer until after they choose to file, so it is not covered under the Satisfaction Guarantee."

So basically you have to pay to e-file, but if their software is faulty and won't allow e-filing, too bad, you've already decided to file so its on you. I'm left with waiting for them to fix this as I'm not inclined to pay again for another software/service. But rest assured, this is my last year with Intuit. Extremely dissatisfied with their inability to fix this issue and their poor refund policy. 

Wow. That response from Intuit re: refund is completely unacceptable.

@InstituSeanOoooohhhhhh HELL NO! (KAREN/RICHARD MODE ON)

TurboTax online charged me $187 on 17 Jan and then made me wait until 26 Jan to e-file. Then It got rejected for this error.

So you sure as hell better believe if it still doesn't work after 5 Feb they are going to issue me a refund or I will cause them a **Bleep** storm of bad PR all over the internet.

Who the hell cares about what they decide their stupid policies cover or not, if they can't deliver on a service you pay for they are required BY LAW to refund your money. If they try not to, I expect everyone on this thread to trash them on social media and file complaints with the BBB. I sure will for as much as I was charged!!!!!!!

If TurboTax expects us not to know our consumer rights then they have a reckoning coming with this!!!!

I just got off the phone with customer service and requested a refund. They sent me a refund form which I submitted; it says to wait 5-7 days for a decision to be made. I am not waiting, I am now filling with HRBlock, and I will fight any charges from Intuit if they do not approve my refund request 

I haven't tried it, but the IRS is now offering free online e-file: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-free-file-is-now-available-for-the-2023-filing-season

If it works for Federal filing, then there is still the issue of needing to eFile state taxes. So it's not a complete solution. But it does avoid the double-billing issue.

I am in agreement with @alexclaytor that if Intuit does not allow a refund for this issue, that we should all pursue resolution: via the BBB, via social media, via whatever means to call attention. 

@meganetrix - Will you please let us know if your HRBlock filing works on the first pass?

If I go to another solution, and TT denies a refund, I will simply dispute the CC charge. I am hopeful TT does the right thing a.) Deliver a working solution and if not b.) Refund.

I used my AmEx for the purchase. I've submitted a dispute through them on the charge.

Good point. I used CapitalOne.

Are you saying it worked on Etax? I'm tempted to switch over if so. What was different in their paperwork vs TT's?

I've read people in this have said they've gone to other sites and filed without issue. So I wonder why the other site like H&R Block and E-tax aren't having rejection issues if this is supposedly an IRS only problem. 

I did try to use the IRS free file that being offered right now, but there's a problem with the entry sections on the form. I even tried deleting cookies and no change. So that's crap too.

I've looked at the prices of e-filing on H&R B and eTax. I started to enter the info on H&R but it's certainly made a little more difficult unless you pay for the upgrade. If you file more than the 1040EZ, you'll prob need the deluxe version which is more money. then, you'll most likely need to pay more for the assisted version because the simple version is more complicated. On purpose I'm guessing so they get to charge you more.

Yep, it's very frustrating to be used to tt over the years and then have to go elsewhere.

I was told the fix at the IRS is ESTIMATED to be 2/5, no guarantees and then if that is in fact the fix date, we're supposed to give tt an additional 3 days on their end to fix their issues because of it. so that's the morning of  2/9. IF all goes well. and again I ask why are the other tax sites not having efile issues if it's only an IRS issue that's causing the tt issue ???? why isn't it causing an H&R B or eTax issue too ????

@marytony 

Re: HRB, et.al. I think one thing we’d want to know is if the 8960 created there has the same entries on Lines 4a and 4b. The IRS seems to indicate that those entries on the form with TT are not incorrect, though those are the entries (apparently) that cause the rejection.

The IRS issues list says the issue, “may cause returns to erroneously reject.”

Gotta wonder if it should say, “may cause returns to erroneously reject if you use TurboTax.”

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies