Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Form 2210, Part IV

TurboTax released Form 2210 on February 26. Since I was waiting on that form to e-file, I immediately printed my return to do a final review. The numbers in Part IV, lines 20 through 26 for columns (c) and (d) were incorrect. I had a net overpayment in column (a) which was correctly shown on line 26 of column (a). The overpayment carried to line 20 of column (b). However, column (b) is kind of “not applicable” this year due to the IRS allowing people until 7/15 to make both first and second quarter payments. Anyway, the overpayment did not carry down to line 26 of column (b) and therefore did not carry to line 20 of column (c). Because the net overpayment did not carry to column (c), all the numbers in column (c) and (d) were incorrect (it actually showed a net underpayment on line 25 when, in fact, I was overpaid). Surprisingly, it still calculated no penalty as it should have.
I tried overriding line 26, column (b) with the correct number and then all the other number corrected themselves. Unfortunately, you cannot e-file when you have an override. I have reported the problem to TurboTax and they referred the issue to their Tech Support people. Hopefully, they will resolve this quickly. In the interim, you may want to source your own numbers in Part IV, lines 20 through 26 to see if they are correct before you e-file.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

48 Replies

I am having the same problem with Part IV of form 2210 as Thomas S.  Form 2210 has not been updated to recognize that only columns (a), (c) and (d) are in use for 2020 because of the deadline changes made for estimated taxes in 2020 due to COVID-19.   In my case, line 26 of column (a) should be carried over to line 20 column (c) not line 20 of column (b).   We waited weeks and weeks for this form to be available and now we cannot file because the form has not being updated correctly.  Step up your game TurboTax!

Same problem for me.  It is H&R Block next year.  Erroneous calculations and tax forms = lost business for TurboTax.

I can confirm that H&R Block 2020 handles form 2210, Part IV correctly.  Plus it is cheaper than TurboTax.   

Thomas, same problem here. Spent a lot of minutes yesterday on the phone with TT  "tax expert" until the problem was understood. A job ticket was filed for the software engineers to resolve. Maybe, just maybe, an update to correct the problem will be forthcoming soon.

I was on the phone with TurboTax on Friday, the 26th, for just under 2 hours according to my phone.  First with the initial contact person and then with one of their CPA’s.  They linked into my return so they could see the issue.  The CPA got a systems person linked in also to see the problem.  They asked me if I was willing to transmit a copy of my return to them so they could diagnose and correct the issue.  TurboTax automatically strips your personal information off when you do this so I agreed.  I too got a job ticket number.  I have the number 760261 and an ID number [social security number removed] written down on a post-it next to my laptop.  Not sure which one it is.  I wanted confirmation that they understood the error and were going to correct the problem as my phone battery was getting low.  They told me not to worry.  We have your phone number and e-mail address.  We definitely will get back to you regarding this problem.  I know it has been only two business days (not counting Saturday & Sunday) but, so far, the response back from TurboTax has been zero, nothing, nada, nil.

Frankly, this is a horrendous error for a tax preparation software supplier to have.  I mean all errors are bad.  But this isn’t like “credit ABC failed to carry to line 11 of form XYZ” or “the tax rate is 10.25% and should be 10.50%”.  Part IV doesn’t foot.  The additions and subtractions do not equal the bottom number.  It doesn’t get anymore basic than that.  It’s tax preparation 101.  You expect the tax form to foot.  Especially a computer generated one from a tax software supplier.

When I overrode one line on Part IV with the correct number, all the other lines changed to the their correct numbers.  But, understandably, TurboTax does not allow you to e-file with an override.  As they explained to me while I was on the phone, if we allowed overrides, we couldn’t guarantee that the return added up properly.  And yet I suspect many people, once they saw Form 2210 finally available, just pulled the trigger and e-filed without double checking that all the numbers tied out properly.  Probably with Part IV not footing.  And TurboTax allowed this without displaying any error message.

To me this is really a failure of the systems people.  I know TurboTax will tell us that the IRS was late in releasing this form and that they have to make the necessary changes once it’s released and then send it back to the IRS for final approval.  And I understand all of that.  But that doesn’t mean you sit around on your duff while you’re waiting and do nothing.  You kind of know how things are going to change.  Probably column (b) is going to be “not applicable” this year.  The systems people should have been populating the form with various numbers while they were waiting to make sure the form footed and that numbers would appear in the correct columns.  In my mind there is simply no excuse for not doing that and ultimately releasing a form to all of us that does not foot.

Thanks for your post. My experience with TT was similar to yours. I called TT support early Sunday morning. The agent linked into my PC and it took very little explanation for her to see the problem. She asked me to hold while she checked to see if this issue had been already reported. While holding her link to my PC closed and in seconds afterward the call was dropped. Since she had taken my phone number I thought she would call back. No luck. That was a 15 minute call wasted. I called back and asked to speak to the same agent but was told she was on another line. This TT agent said he was the supervisor and that he would be glad to help.  So we did the link to my computer again and this time it took much longer for the agent to understand the problem, but he did finally get it. I was reluctant to allow a stripped version of my Form 2210 to reach TT but he explained that a copy of this would be downloaded so that I could verify that the names, SS number, etc., were not visible. So I agreed, and a good deal of the call was spent by him filling out the request the "engineers" need to investigate, validate, and fix the problem. He gave me a "token number",762826, and said within two or three days I would probably receive a call or email from the "engineers". Before terminating the computer link and the call, I mentioned that I had not received the stripped copy of my Form 2210 with the personal information deleted. He said that it would go directly to my TT folder. It didn't. Then we looked in the download folder. Nope, not there. Then he promised to email me a copy. Two days later, this hasn't happened and I've never had any further contact by email or phone. This second call lasted 1 hour 19 minutes. Hopefully something good will result from our trust and time spent trying get this problem corrected. But this is probably the last time I'll ever call TT support. Although, it was made easier in that the agents did speak American English and were easy to understand.

I called support late Tuesday evening again about this issue.  I gave them my job ticket #760261 and told them no one from TurboTax has called back or e-mailed me as they promised.  I asked them to look up the status of the job ticket.  After about 30 minutes they told me that it is still open.  When I asked what that meant, they said that systems hasn't resolved it yet.  Not really a good answer as far as I'm concerned.

This morning I called support back.  I asked the person if they could call systems directly but she said they could not; however, she could e-mail them.  I asked her to please e-mail them regarding my job ticket number and advise them that, if the issue is not resolved in the next two days, I would send e-mails to

Mark Notarainni - Executive Vice President, Chief Customer Success Officer

Greg Johnson - Executive Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Group

Sasan Goodarzi - Chief Executive Officer

Maybe a corporate officer forwarding an e-mail down to systems asking "what's the status of this" will do what we cannot.  Actually get systems to make the proper programing change.

Thanks. I'll let you know if I hear any update on my job ticket regarding the same failure to carry over any Overpayment in column (a) to the other columns.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax is aware of errors related to calculating underpayment penalties on Form 2210. The problem has been reported and is under investigation. Taxpayers can continue to e-file with the option of deleting the form and allowing the IRS to calculate any underpayment penalty for you.

How do I delete a tax form in the TurboTax CD/Down...

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So a TurboTax employee says that the solution to TurboTax being unable to create a tax form correctly is to delete the form????   And when the form is needed to avoid paying an underpayment penalty, how does that meet the TurboTax promise "I'll help you get your max refund, guaranteed!"????  The phrase "gross incompetence" springs to mind.

Today I got a noreply email from TT Salesforce.com essentially saying the agent that linked with my pc on Sunday screwed up his report (Token # 762826) and the uploaded Form 2210 was not available for analysis. This is frustrating after spending 1 hour 19 minutes  on the phone.  I'll explain the problem one more time here and this will terminate my efforts to resolve the issue. The issue being that an Overpayment of the required tax in the first period is not taken into account in figuring the penalty. The first period's overpayment, Line 26 in Form 2210 Part IV column a, was correctly carried forward to Line 20 of column b and the calculations down through Line 24 of column b were performed correctly. The evidence of the programming error becomes apparent in the calculation that should have been performed to populate Line 26 of column b. The program should have substracted the value in Line 18 column b from Line 24 in column b, which properly contained the value of the first period's overpayment. Line 18 column b was empty per the Line 18 instructions as this was done to reflect only 3 estimated tax due dates per the 2020 pandemic tax legislation. If the program had entered a 0. in column b Line 18 rather than leaving it blank, the Line 26 calculation that required a value from Line 18 may have been performed. I attempted to enter a 0. in Line 18 column b but was prevented from doing so. Clicking on the zoom glass for that window pointed me to column b of Line 17 of Form 2210AI. This would have been the correct entry for Line 18 column b of Form 2210 Part IV if this were tax year 2019. But for 2020, Line 18 column b should contain a 0. for every tax payer that completes Form 2210 Part IV. 

So the net effect of the program's failure to substract 0. from value in Line 24 of column b (the first period's overpayment)  prevented this overpayment from being populated in Line 20 column c. Therefore, the overpayment in the first period was not taken into consideration in calculating whether a penalty was due.

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax is aware of errors related to calculating underpayment penalties on Form 2210. The problem has been reported and is under investigation. You can continue to e-file with the option of deleting the form and allowing the IRS to calculate any underpayment penalty for you.

How to delete a form in TurboTax CD/Download software

How to delete a form in TurboTax Online

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IRS will be unable to calculate the penalty without Form 2210 AI which shows the income broken into four periods. If Form 2210 is deleted, will Form 2210 AI be transmitted when I efile?

I wonder if all the TT customer and software personnel are working from home!  Might explain their inability to address a simple problem!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies