turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Fed and State 2019 return e-files rejected with several attempts

IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records. I obtained a copy of my 2018 transcript and the AGI matches exactly. I also put in the correct PIN that was used when my 2018 return was submitted. I also tried another PIN that I used before, just in case that was picked up from another previous return in my attempt to submit electronically. However, the only return submitted electronically was the 2018 return because all previous returns were not allowed to be submitted electronically by TT. Those previous ones were not submitted by e-file because the returns were for a previous year. Additionally, because the IRS was having communication issues, I was able to have a tax accountant submit my 2018 return electronically in April, 2020. My copy of the that 2018 return contains and matches the AGI and PIN that I used to attempt e-filing my 2019 return. I don't trust USPS at this time, especially since everything is accurate and I paid TT for the state e-filing also. Are there any other suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@ Nwesu wrote:

I was able to have a tax accountant submit my 2018 return electronically in April, 2020.

If your 2018 return was filed that late, then try efiling the 2019 return using an AGI of 0 (zero) and leaving the PIN field blank.   Or you can try it with an AGI of 0 and the 2018 PIN.    An AGI of 0 is used when verifying a 2019 return for any 2018 return filed after November 2019, rather than the actual 2018 AGI.

In any case, it will still also ask you to choose a PIN to sign the return (any 5 digits of your choice), which can be the same one as used for 2018 or a new one.  That's the PIN that can be used again next year, if desired.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

@ Nwesu wrote:

I was able to have a tax accountant submit my 2018 return electronically in April, 2020.

If your 2018 return was filed that late, then try efiling the 2019 return using an AGI of 0 (zero) and leaving the PIN field blank.   Or you can try it with an AGI of 0 and the 2018 PIN.    An AGI of 0 is used when verifying a 2019 return for any 2018 return filed after November 2019, rather than the actual 2018 AGI.

In any case, it will still also ask you to choose a PIN to sign the return (any 5 digits of your choice), which can be the same one as used for 2018 or a new one.  That's the PIN that can be used again next year, if desired.

Hi mesquitebean, thank you very much for your suggestion which was exactly what worked for me, after so many tries using the "correct AGI and PIN." I replaced AGI with zero and left the PIN as the original one in the 2018  return and both the Federal and state returns were accepted with the first attempt.

@Nwesu wrote:

Hi mesquitebean, thank you very much for your suggestion which was exactly what worked for me, after so many tries using the "correct AGI and PIN." I replaced AGI with zero and left the PIN as the original one in the 2018  return and both the Federal and state returns were accepted with the first attempt.

You're welcome.  I'm glad it worked for you.

I need to resubmit my 2019, but it is requiring me to download desktop to do it.  Do I need to repurchase ?

@whitneyboat3 wrote:

I need to resubmit my 2019, but it is requiring me to download desktop to do it.  Do I need to repurchase ?

No, you do not have to pay again.  See below.

Based on just the term "resubmit" it's not clear what all you are wanting to do and why.     Did you initially efile your 2019 return, and was it rejected by the IRS?   If your efiled 2019 return was rejected, then you need to correct whatever caused the rejection, and then postal mail it to the IRS (and, if applicable, a state return separately to the state tax agency.)   You can no longer efile a 2019 return.  It has to be printed, signed, and mailed.   And you cannot work on a 2019 return in Online TurboTax.   It requires desktop software to make any changes.

If you already paid for the 2019 return previously, you don't have to pay for it again.  TurboTax Support should furnish you a download of the 2019 software.   Then you can download the *.tax2019 data file from your online account and open it in the 2019 software to continue working on it, then print and mail your 2019 returns.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

It's recommended to mail by a method that has tracking such as Priority Mail or certified return receipt, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies