turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Fake turbotax web site

I got conned on Thanksgiving day (11/29/2019) into buying TurboTax Premier for $39.99 from a fake web site [URL removed]. They looked like the real website and was listed prominently on Google's list of TurboTax vendors that I fell for it.

It turns out the web site was registered 13 days ago (on Nov 16, 2019). I feel like such a fool. I tried to report this web site using Intuit's report piracy software but I got some kind of error, so I don't know if my report went through. Can someone shut these guys down?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Fake turbotax web site

I've flagged the forum moderators on this. Thanks.

@TurboTaxSee flagging you on this. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fake turbotax web site

it's almost impossible to shut fake web sites down.  many are not even located in the US    Have you alerted your credit card company?    you could also become a victim of identity theft?   what to do

Credit Agencies
1) Report the identity theft to the fraud department of one of the following reporting agencies as soon as possible. They must notify the other two agencies.
• Equifax: equifax.com
• Experian: experian.com
• TransUnion: transunion.com
2) Request a copy of your credit report and request that only the last
four digits of your Social Security number be placed on the report.
3) Close accounts that you think have been compromised or opened
fraudulently.
4) Inform the credit bureaus and the credit issuers (in writing) of any
fraudulent accounts and incorrect information.
5) Obtain replacement credit cards with new, secure account numbers
and destroy any old cards.
6) Notify those who have received your credit report in the last six
months to alert them to any disputed, fraudulent or incorrect information.
7) Confirm that an extended fraud alert (seven years) is placed on your
credit report.

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
1) Report the crime to the FTC to establish an Identity Theft Affidavit.
Identity Theft Victim’s Complaint and Affidavit.

Local Police
1)Report the crime to your local police or sheriff’s department. Make
sure to prompt as much documented evidence as possible.
2)Verify that the report lists the fraudulent accounts and keep a copy
of the report.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
1) Contact the IRS to report the theft. This will alert them to any claim
for refund or other activity on your account. File IRS Form 14039,
Identify Theft Affidavit.

State Tax Agency
1) Contact your state tax agency to report the theft. Some agencies
may require a police report and/or the IRS affidavit.

Other Agencies and Organizations
1) U.S. mail fraud: Contact your local postal inspector.
• Online: postalinspectors.uspis.gov
• Phone: 800.275.8777
2) Social Security number misuse — non-IRS issues:
-Check your earnings record to make sure no one is using your SSN
to obtain work. Call your local Social Security Administration (SSA)
office if something looks inaccurate.
-Contact the SSA Inspector General to report Social Security benefit
fraud, employment fraud, or welfare fraud.
• Online reporting resources:
- socialsecurity.gov/oig
- Fraud Reporting Form
• SSA fraud hotline: 800.269.0271

Fake turbotax web site

It is like a game of "Whack A Mole" ... you shut down one fake site & 2 others pop up in their place. The sites usually are only up for a few days at best then morph into another one.

Fake turbotax web site

I also fell for it but stopped prior to downloading once got a strange name back acknowledging my order.  Still trying to get refund from Paypal.  Those hackers are good ... site look plus  PLUS showing up first in the search list.   Back to Costco or Turbotax.

Fake turbotax web site

I will definitely keep an eye on my credit report. The "eTurboTax" seller still figures prominently in Google's list for TurboTax (it's first!)

I used PayPal, so they didn't get my credit card information. I filed a dispute with PayPal. I am interested in how this will end.

I ended up buying from walmart's web site. It looks like you need to use a domain checker like http://whois.domaintools.com/ before buying from a web site. If it's several days old, don't bother

Pretty annoyed at myself for falling for this

Fake turbotax web site

I also filed a dispute with Paypal but finally got through to a human being to explain.  Online system couldn't handle "yes I authorized" but NO is was not a valid seller .. which of coure I didn't know until I saw the email from what looked like a vietnamese name ... but in hindsite .. probably system generated.  Good luck.

Fake turbotax web site

I did get through to PayPal and did speak to a person. They still denied my claim to cancel the transaction.

They said "I received the product I bought so your claim is denied". However, I believe the serial number I received is invalid. How can I check whether the serial number is valid? I tried to call TurboTax, but the wait time is over 1 hour...

Fake turbotax web site

njstruck: my seller was a vietnamese name "Nguyen Ba Thu". We might have ran into the same person. And PayPal seems unwilling to help, so I'll try to deny the charge through the credit card company

Fake turbotax web site

The credit card company accepted my dispute and will give me a refund. However, that doesn't make me entirely happy because I suspect the thieves get to keep their money and my credit card company is swallowing the loss. 

Today I noticed two more fraudulent web sites showing up in google's list of online Turbotax resellers 

This is depressing. The thieves are winning

Fake turbotax web site

Not unusual at this time of the year ...  the local news was saying to be wary of fake websites popping up at this time of the year to fleece the unwitting ... best you can do is use a CC so you have an avenue to dispute these charges ... if you use a debit card you are sunk.  Also using Paypal to be the middleman between your CC and the seller is also a good idea for the protection it provides.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fake turbotax web site

i would suggest Paypal over a CC because once a scammer has a CC number, they can rack up a fantastic amount of charges.   then,  if the CC holder, doesn't review their statement in timely, then their ability to dispute fraudulent charges may be lost.  

Fake turbotax web site

Good idea to check with CC.  The Paypal rep I talked to said give him 10 days and will be resolved (reversed).  Not too hopeful considering all the status update emails I get from Paypal.  I agree ... CC gets dumped with the refund and the thieves win.  Glad you got your $$ back. At this point the time spent on this far exceeds the $29.99 "may" get back.   You lost $10 more.  I can also wait out the Costco sale nearer the 4/15 deadline.

Onward.

Fake turbotax web site

Almost fell for it as well, then actually read the terms and conditions and got spooked...back to Amazon/Costco/direct from Intuit

aj04
Level 1

Fake turbotax web site

I googled it clicked the first one & purchased it. Then i realized i was on “ TurboTaxshopping.net & not on the intuit website.... so I haven’t opened the “app” to my Mac yet bc  it gave me a “this app was from the Internet and could be harmful” warning ... so i looked at my purchase and my sellers name came up “NGUYEN BA THU” 😳

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies