Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I am married and we would like to file taxes jointly, but when we file it, are we going to be able to see how much would we each owe separately ?

But there is! See Critter-3's reply above. There are a bunch of caveats regarding using that function according to one's situation, but that's obvious (why wouldn't there be) and it splits the various categories with the check of a check box 🙂

I am married and we would like to file taxes jointly, but when we file it, are we going to be able to see how much would we each owe separately ?

Hey! I assume you figured out your question back in 2019, but if not, see below....

@karinm1971 Critter is referring to the use of the "what if" feature in the CD/download software---NOT online software, and she goes on to describe using Forms mode.   Only the CD/download has Forms mode.   There is NO way to use online software and click a mouse to see the difference in filing MFJ or MFS.  No way.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes, we hear you on that re: online. But the important thing is there is a way to do what I wanted to do 🙂

@karinm1971 You seem intent on making a comparison with a click or two.  You cannot do that effectively.  There are so many variations especially for MFS.   If the two of you plan to itemize, you have to decide who is using which deduction--or whether you are each using 50% of each deduction--or splitting the deductions some other way.   The software cannot read your mind and know how you and your spouse will divvy up your mortgage interest, property tax, medical expenses, charity donations, etc. unless you tell the software. It does not have to be 50-50 unless you are in a community property state.    If you have dependents--which one of you is claiming the dependents?   

At least with the CD/download you can use "what if" if you just want it split down the middle and you will get a rough idea.   If you really want accurate results you prepare the joint return and a separate return for each spouse following all of the rules especially the rule regarding itemizing/using standard deduction.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I completely agree.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies