turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I report TurboTax Software Errors?

@staubert wrote:

Thanks, problem solved. You're a lifesaver.

Great news!  I'm glad it worked for you.  Good luck.

nstainer

I received a notice from the Iowa State Tax Commission that " the non-resident or part-year resident credit was calculated incorrectly on Schedule IA 126." of my 2019 Iowa tax return.  The software had not even gotten to the credit calculation as it only went as far as line 26 which had a notation "LOW INCOME EXEMPT".  The result of the software error was that tax was owed, instead of there being no tax.  This needs to be fixed!

@nstainer 

You're less likely to get help in an old thread with multiple users on a hodgepodge of different issues, especially when your issue is quite state-specific.  Normally it's best to start one's own new thread with Iowa in the title, and then it might catch the eye of someone in the community forum familiar with Iowa.

Or you can phone TurboTax Support for assistance.  You can use this contact form to get a number:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Support hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern), Mon-Fri

Or since you got a state letter, you can contact TurboTax IRS free Audit Support Center.   To get the phone number, go to the page below and click the blue "Get Help..." button.   It says "IRS letter", but they help with state letters, too.   If it was due to a software error, you can discuss it with them or ask to be transferred to another department to someone familiar with the Iowa state program.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

C_DG

Canadian Software: Downloaded Standard Version: Ontario

Mathematical Calculation of Federal & Provincial Taxes and Medical Expenses vary dependent on filing individually - versus jointly as a couple - which affects both Federal and Provincial deductions and refund.

I have underlined the correct calculations and put a strike through on incorrect calculations.

Filing Separately
Medical Expenses: $1260.50

Federal & Provincial Calculations: 3% of net income (Line 23600) - $594.25 - Deduction $666.25

Preparing Return as a Couple

Medical Expenses: $1260.50

Federal & Provincial Calculations: 3% of net income (Line 23600) - $594.13 - Deduction $666.37

Federal and Provincial Tax on Taxable Income Filing Separately

Net Income_Line 26000_ $19804.40

Federal: 15% of net income  -$ 2971.26

Provincial: 5.05% of net income (Line 26000) - $1000.32

Federal and Provincial Tax on Taxable Income Filing Return as a Couple

Net Income $19804.40

Federal: 15% of net income (Line 26000)  -$ 2971.66

Provincial: 5.05% of net income (Line 26000) - $1000.12

In this example, if this individual prepares and files as a couple he will receive $1.02 more back in refund - but not because of any additional or separate deductions - but because he is using the software calculations in Turbo Tax that are correct. 

The incorrect mathematical calculations filing as a single taxpayer will provide the government with an extra $1.02 that they are not entitled to.  Extrapolate that over how many tax returns are being done on Turbo Tax and it is a nice extra slush fund that the government is receiving. 

I also found errors in the online version of the software which I reported - but switched to the downloaded version hoping to see that it was correct - but it wasn't. 

Turbo Tax needs to get this corrected. ASAP.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the US forum. you need the Canadian forum or their support

I live in Maryland. The problem with Turbo Tax involved Maryland Tax return. Maryland corrected the error for me and gave me the correct refund. I then filed a corrected Maryland

return for 2018 and received an adjusted refund.

C_DG

Thank you very much for letting me know. I have posted on the Canadian site. 

rlzacks

Using Turbotax Premier for the 2019 tax year, the program is generating form 8995 showing that I have qualified REIT dividends or PTP income, when I do not.  I am unable to find any place in EasyStep where the data might have come from.

@ rlzacks wrote:

Using Turbotax Premier for the 2019 tax year, the program is generating form 8995 showing that I have qualified REIT dividends or PTP income, when I do not.  I am unable to find any place in EasyStep where the data might have come from.

Did you have a 1099-DIV for dividend income from a mutual fund or other financial institution that had income in Box 5 (Section 199A dividends)?   Or did you have a K-1 with such dividends or PTP income?

Or did you have an access amount from last year's return that carried forward to this year's return?

Ketzeleh18
Returning Member

We moved from North Carolina to Washington in September of 2019. I purchased Turbo Tax  To do the Federal and North Carolina returns. But every time I try to open the North Carolina return. I get a message that my software is up to date, and it will not take me to the form. There are no state taxes in Washington. Why am I unable to access the North Carolina State return?

@ Ketzeleh18  wrote:

We moved from North Carolina to Washington in September of 2019. I purchased Turbo Tax  To do the Federal and North Carolina returns. But every time I try to open the North Carolina return. I get a message that my software is up to date, and it will not take me to the form. There are no state taxes in Washington. Why am I unable to access the North Carolina State return?

Have you rebooted (restarted) your computer after you downloaded the NC state return?  If not, that's something quick to try.

Are you using the Windows version and are in this state download-install-update loop?  You may need to cleanup your state download and re-download it per the instructions below:

FAQ:  State download-install-update loop

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-loop-indicates-turbotax-is-up-to-date-after-...

SUSANE

I bought the disk and entered my dividends... ordinary, qualified.  My total qualified is only $7k on schedule B, but on 1040 it shows up as $63k!!  what's the error?!!

@ SUSANE wrote:

I bought the disk and entered my dividends... ordinary, qualified.  My total qualified is only $7k on schedule B, but on 1040 it shows up as $63k!!  what's the error?!!

Are you sure you didn't put a decimal or comma in the wrong place somewhere?  I'll tell you some things to check below.

This is a user community forum, so no one can see your return.  

Did you enter the dividend income manually as opposed to importing it from the Payer? 

Did you enter a single 1099-DIV or multiple 1099-DIV? 

And are any dividends from a K-1?

What is on your Schedule B, Line 6?  And what is on your Form 1040, Lines 3a and 3b?  For this public forum, you can use approximate round figures for your example.

Also, go into Forms Mode, and in the left column list of forms, open the Schedule B.    Scroll down the Schedule B and after Line 4, you will see a "Dividend Income Smart Worksheet."   Review that embedded worksheet to see if you can spot anything unusual.

NOTE:  If you have multiple 1099-DIV (such as more than 5) and don't immediately see all of them in that embedded smart worksheet, there is a tiny scroll bar on the right side of the worksheet that may not be obvious.  When you use that scrollbar, you can see the rest.

WTF, I am so frustrated and so pissed off. I get to the state tax portion (Illinois) and all your software does is send me in circles. I already see and have printed off the fix you guys expect me, the CUSTOMER, to implement. WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO DEAL WITH A PROBLEM IN YOUR SOFTWARE??? I have used Turbo Tax for many years and have never experienced this level of frustration!!! ...................... I will try the 'fix' you suggest, but I expect and am asking for a partial refund due to the fact that your software is faulty. Do we as the public have to have another lawsuit just to get satisfaction from your company??

Rich [removed] - [email address removed] - [phone number removed]. License code: [product key removed]. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies