Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Googalou
Returning Member

elected not to take the total RMD for 2020

Turbo does not specifically address how to answer the RMD question if you elected not to take 

either the full or a portion of the RMD amount for 2020.  Can anyone give an answer to this issue?  I'm guessing

the answer might be to indicate you did not take the entire RMD but you are not paying the 50% tax penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
cruisefor2
Returning Member

I also elected not to take RMD for tax year 2020 per CARES Act.

TurboTax Deluxe does not have any interview questions which cover this topic.

I would like to hear from TurboTax how best to handle on my taxes.  Do I just ignore...is there a waiver form to be submitted, etc, etc. ??

@cruisefor2 wrote:

I also elected not to take RMD for tax year 2020 per CARES Act.

TurboTax Deluxe does not have any interview questions which cover this topic.

I would like to hear from TurboTax how best to handle on my taxes.  Do I just ignore...is there a waiver form to be submitted, etc, etc. ??

If you did not take a distribution in 2020 then you would not have received a Form 1099-R.  You have nothing to enter concerning the RMD on a 1099-R.

cruisefor2
Returning Member

Because I elected not to take RMD for tax year 2020 I did not receive 1099-R...with that said I would think the IRS would still be looking for some form of waiver certifying I elected NOT to take RMD per CARES Act.

Softbawl
Returning Member

Regardless of how much you withdrew from your account, the current version of TurboTax requires you to enter your 2020 RMD Obligation.  My reading of the CARES Act is that the obligation for 2020 = $0.00.  I am disappointed that TurboTax has not addressed this.  We are paying a premium as TurboTax users and this is such a common question for retirees.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

You should not enter anything if you did not received a 1099R.  If you have 1099Rs in your forms from 2019 entries, then delete them for 2020.  If you are getting a penalty on the 5329, then delete the form.  Try reviewing your forms in TurboTax and deleting the unnecessary forms. While in your return in TurboTax:

• In the left hand column select "Tax Tools"
  • Select "Tools"
  • Select "Delete a form"
  • Review for form 5329 or 1099R
  • Delete selected form then "Back"
  • Run your Federal review again.

Do not enter a form or amount you did not receive.  If you are not seeing the RMD screens and you entered a 1099R, try changing our age to in My Info to 72, delete the 1099R, then re-enter the form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies