Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

efile rejected - AGI rejected

Cape2020x

Try using 0 (zero) as the AGI for the e-file option.  You can find more details if you look back through this thread.  It has got to do with when the IRS actually processed your 2019 return.  So you can absolutely have the correct AGI but that what's weird about this.  Try using 0 as well as for any spouse if you are filing a joint return.  

Entering 0 AGI worked for me--I had to enter 0 for both mineand my spouse's (which are on separate pages), so it took me 3 tries, but it worked!  Thank  you so much!

cmabc1

The same happened to me. I had the correct AGI. Followed suggestion to enter zero as the IRS may not have processed 2019 yet. Rejected again but this time I noticed that the code had changed from IND-031-04 to IND-032-04. Since I had set my AGI to zero I guess Turbotax assigned the AGI to my spouse. Entered zero for spouses AGI and presto "Great news! Your federal return was accepted by the IRS." !!!!!

Don't give up and mail until you've tried this.

kewh
Level 2

Zero (0) AGI worked for me; federal return was just accepted. My return was rejected several times, even though I was using the correct AGI from 2019 tax transcript. Other members suggested this could be a timing issue with IRS records from 2019, so I used a zero for AGI (instead of the actual AGI) and the tax return was accepted (5/18/21).

FYI, although I had e-filed the 2019 return, we were notified of a missing form that we had to mail; maybe this took the tax return off-line. Strange, though, since the IRS clearly has the correct AGI on the 2019 tax transcript.

Thank you to everyone who explained WHY a zero could be the solution. Without an explanation it just feels like entering a wrong number on a tax return!

awfrisco

Texas (and OK & LA) got extended till June 15 2021 (due to ice storm and vast power outages in Feb).  This due date not allowed for in most software - that's ok.  Last night and today (only took 4 or 5 tries, kept being rejected) I was trying to submit (for a friend in TX) their e-file - and thank you all so much for the notes about putting zero in AGI.  They had mailed a paper return last year - and who knows if it has even been processed now.  The first time that I tried the 0 AGO, I failed to put 0 in spouse as well - After I did,  IT WORKED FINALLY!!  

Thank you!!! 

estevek

Just to echo what a few people have said here- I had the exact same scenario- 2020 efile rejected for 2019 AGI even after I verified my 2019 AGI with the IRS.  It worked for me to put "0" in for AGI.   I am filing jointly and entered "0" for 2019 AGI for both my spouse and myself.  Once entering a "0" the return was accepted.

My taxes were filed relatively late for 2019 (maybe about October of 2020) and that appears to be a factor here.  

Schmuzie
Returning Member

I didn't have any luck changing the AGI to 0. What finally worked - don't ask me why - was I filed only my federal, without my state.

Thank you so much for this post. It turned out I was in the same situation -- even the AGI right off my IRS transcript was rejected. So I tried the zero-AGI approach and it worked! 

Hello sirs :

I have  filed  for years with your Turbo tax and my 2019 return was rejected had incorrect AGI and you corrected it, but I don't have the corrected figure  that you input as I only have the one, I put on my return

Now my 2020 is also rejected as I don't have the corrected AGI figure you helped me solve to have I bought the audit defense for many years also 

Please send me the AGI for 2019 corrected by you that you input as I don't have it so I can file my taxes?

My SS number is Jaime Z. [removed]

my phone number is  [phone number removed]

My email is 

[email address removed]

please help me i am in trouble and now I also have to do my  2021 taxes 

please reply to thisrequest

Regards

Jaime Z.

Hello sirs :

I have  filed  for years with your Turbo tax and my 2019 return was rejected had incorrect AGI and you corrected it, but I don't have the corrected figure  that you input as I only have the one, I put on my return

Now my 2020 is also rejected as I don't have the corrected AGI figure you helped me solve to have I bought the audit defense for many years also 

Please send me the AGI for 2019 corrected by you that you input as I don't have it so I can file my taxes?

My SS number is Jaime Z. [removed]

my phone number is  [phone number removed]

My email is 

[email address removed]

please help me I am in trouble and now I also have to do my  2021 taxes 

please reply to this request

Regards

Jaime Z.

@Jaime Zapata You no longer need AGI to file 2019 or 2020.   E-filing is closed for those tax years.  You only needed AGI in order to e-file by the filing deadline, which you have now missed.    The only way to file is by mail.   Print, sign and date the returns in ink and mail them in.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Since you are filing a late 2020 return, the IRS will not have a 2020 AGI in the system for you.  When the 2021 software asks for your 2020 AGI so that you can e-file 2021, use “zero.”  If you cannot e-file by using zero then you will have to print, sign and mail your 2021 return.

And......please do not post your personal information here in the user forum where it can be seen by scammers and would-be identitiy thieves who would love to contact you and pretend to be from TurboTax.  The filter removed your email and phone number.   But your names are still here.

Please remove the personal information you posted here ASAP by returning to your post and clicking the three little blue dots on the upper right to edit your post.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You don't need your 2019 AGI for anything now.   You will need your 2020 AGI to efile 2021.  

Do you still need to file 2020?  You have to print and mail 2020 now so you don't need the AGI.   And if you did not file 2020 by August 2021 then you should enter 0 for the AGI to efile 2021 now.

Thank you for the advice

how do i delete the message ?

regards

Jaime

Hoberg

I received rejection on my 2021 return because of AGI. After several attempts to enter the correct AGI, I entered “0”. Bingo! First year I have had this problem.

Hoberg

And, the AGI was just for my spouse. We filled jointly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies