turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rdh
Level 3

E-Filing AGI error after spouse passed away

My wife died in March of 2019.  I completed my return and followed TurboTax's instructions to efile.  However, my return was rejected twice with an AGI error for identifying my wife.  I am going to file by mail; however, IRS.gov says we should be able to efile.  The software should flag this issue for those in this situation.  Also, there is something on TurboTax website about a form 1310.  Does this form help if I paper file? Is there no way around this error?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Did you file as married filing jointly?  Even though your wife passed away in March 2019 you still can file jointly for 2019. From your question, it is not clear if you filed as single or married filing jointly.  If you filed single and used the AGI from a joint return this may have caused an issue with the IRS

Form 1310 Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer has no impact on your ability to efiling.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rdh
Level 3

Checked the Turbo Tax printed form.  Yep, filed as "Married filing Jointly".  I just think mailing is the only way. My IRS transcript matches the AGI from the e-file that is in the system.  I've been using TurboTax for a few years so it has all of my numbers.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Sometimes there is a disconnect between the IRS and the Social Security Department that will not allow the tax return to be e-filed.  Mailing your return is your only option in this situation.

The same thing happened to me...exactly...This is annoying.  We should be able to file electronically..

LJ

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am attaching a post from Expert Maya D for your reference.  Click here: deceased incorrect agi 

You might need to print and mail your return. 

wdunker

same thing happened with our filing 4 times so far

There is a problem with Efiling when one spouse died during the year.  You have print and mail your return this year. 

Mickeymouse421
Returning Member

My aunt's husband died in January of 2019. I tried to e-file my aunt's taxes for her and I had the same error when I entered the AGI because it stated it could not identify my uncle based on the AGI entered. I attempted to file 2 times and it was rejected both times! Very frustrating!!

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

@VolvoGirl is correct. You'll need to mail in the tax return(s).

• Although millions of tax returns are successfully e-filed every year, some returns simply can't be e-filed or keep getting rejected even though there's really nothing wrong with them. 
durwood55
Returning Member

I was trying to e-file my brother's return.  His wife passed away in 2019.  I had the same issue.  We confirmed the AGI amount.  After reading all of these messages, I decided not to try again to e-file.  

I am totally aggravated that TurboTax has not worked out this bug with the IRS.  I WASTED A LOT OF TIME trying to e-file, as he lives in another state.

I have used TurboTax for many years now, but this makes me quite angry!

I have run into the same issue.  Wife passed in July.   I know the AGI is right, but it keeps getting rejected.  

I totally agree that this is an issue that TurboTax should address.  I wasted a ton of time and effort including paying to eFile.  I filed three times and it was rejected each time.  I went to the IRS and registered to get the transcript to confirm the AGI.  I probably spent five hours trying to resolve this.  THE PRODUCT SHOULD TELL YOU IT WON'T efile and not let you do it.  I would be curious if anyone in this situation could efile.  It isn't fair to blame this on SSA or IRS.  

I ended up just mailing mine which was not ideal being at the mercy of someone having to review things in paper form and waiting 5-8 weeks for my refund.

Carl
Level 15

I'm sorry for your loss. If you wife passed in March of 2019 then I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that the IRS has her SSN marked as "LOCKED". The result is, you flat out no way no how can e-file the return. The IRS locks the SSN's of the deceased when they are notified of their passing, so that the SSN can not be used fraudulently. You have *no* *choice* but to print, sign and mail the return to the IRS. If a refund is due then you may also need to include in your mailing IRS Form 1310 which you can get at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1310.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies