Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-File Amended 2021 Return

I need to amend my 2021 return as I filed in 2022 before TurboTax had been updated with form 8915 and did not realize that the covid retirement distribution I took in 2020 did not pull into my return so I could pay tax on 1/3 of the distribution. I entered all the information and got to the point where I get a message: Federal return ready to e-file and state return ready to print and mail, however, Turbotax won't actually let me e-file. I cannot enter today's date to make the payment as it does not like the date and seems confused that I owe money since my amended return is also a refund, just a few hundred dollars less.  Does anyone know if Turbotax should be allowing this or if I need to print and mail my federal amended return?

Thank You!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please be aware, that you cannot e-file for years prior to 2022, you'll need to print and mail your amended return. Please see How do I amend my federal tax return for a prior year? and Can I e-file my 1040X to amend my return for additional information.

To verify, when you started your amended return the refund counter stated $0, correct? If the amended return states you are getting a refund after making changes, it seems it calculated a refund and you might want to check your entries.

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R” 
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  4. Click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info” screen
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" on the "Did either of you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020?" screen 

Please sure you enter the amount from Form 8915-E, line 9 twice (if it was not from an IRA) or enter the amount from Form 8915-E, line 17 twice (if it was from an IRA). This amount should be 1/3 of your 2020 COVID distribution.

If you have a balance due then you can also pay on the IRS Payment site.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

@SandyOH 

yes you want an extra $2,000 on line one. this comes from 1040 Line 4b or 5b depending on the type of account.

also note IRS wants the 8915-F worksheets attached to Form 8915-F.

I recently noticed this requirement in the Instructions.

you have to file a 2021 amendment by US Mail.

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

"Does that seem correct?"

No.

For 2021, the 8915-F Part I  is completely EMPTY.

In Part II check the NO box on line 8 and skip to Line 12.

Penalties:
Subtract any penalty from the amount you owe reported on original 1040.
Don't try to include, but ignore, any new or changed penalty.
IRS will calculate your new penalty on their own and will bill you.

@SandyOH 

23 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please be aware, that you cannot e-file for years prior to 2022, you'll need to print and mail your amended return. Please see How do I amend my federal tax return for a prior year? and Can I e-file my 1040X to amend my return for additional information.

To verify, when you started your amended return the refund counter stated $0, correct? If the amended return states you are getting a refund after making changes, it seems it calculated a refund and you might want to check your entries.

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R” 
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  4. Click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info” screen
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" on the "Did either of you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020?" screen 

Please sure you enter the amount from Form 8915-E, line 9 twice (if it was not from an IRA) or enter the amount from Form 8915-E, line 17 twice (if it was from an IRA). This amount should be 1/3 of your 2020 COVID distribution.

If you have a balance due then you can also pay on the IRS Payment site.

Thank you for the information. Yes, my refund starts at zero when I begin and when I finish my refund is a few hundred dollars less than my original return so it rightly shows as a balance due. It seems like I have to mail the payment as the spot in TurboTax that does not reflect that I owe money is on the screen to set up direct debit date. This must be a glitch since the advice given is that I cannot e-file the amendment even though TurboTax initially gives me that option.

I am not sure about the instruction to enter the amount from form 8915 line 9 twice.  Shouldn't I enter the amount as is which represents 1/3 of the distribution?  I had a $6k withdrawal, I claimed $2k in 2020, should have claimed $2k in 2021 and will claim $2k in 2022.

Thanks!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You'll enter it twice in order to have the system register the correct amount of repayment due in 2021.  

@SandyOH 

@SandyOH 

yes you want an extra $2,000 on line one. this comes from 1040 Line 4b or 5b depending on the type of account.

also note IRS wants the 8915-F worksheets attached to Form 8915-F.

I recently noticed this requirement in the Instructions.

you have to file a 2021 amendment by US Mail.

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Ah! thank you. My eyes just were not catching that I was being instructed to enter Form 8915E line 9 amount in two different spots. So I have entered $2,000 in both the first line in the Qualified Disaster (Other than IRAs) and the third line and left the line 10 spot blank.  Does that seem correct?

Thank you. This is very helpful. I have completed the returns and am ready to mail. Is there a way for me to calculate whatever federal and state penalty I will be accessed and pay with my amended return rather than wait to receive a separate bill from fed/state?

"Does that seem correct?"

No.

For 2021, the 8915-F Part I  is completely EMPTY.

In Part II check the NO box on line 8 and skip to Line 12.

Penalties:
Subtract any penalty from the amount you owe reported on original 1040.
Don't try to include, but ignore, any new or changed penalty.
IRS will calculate your new penalty on their own and will bill you.

@SandyOH 

Yes, that is exactly how I completed form 8915-F. 
I will let the IRS bill separately for any penalty. 

Thanks so much!

once received, your 1040-X should show up under "Where's my Amended Return" after three weeks.

dmcmtax

Under   Can I e-file my 1040X to amend my return the first sentence reads 

"Your 2022, 2021, or 2020 federal Form 1040-X amended return may be eligible for electronic filing if the original return was successfully e-filed using TurboTax." Since I have the same issue with not being able to enter today's date for my signature, it appears that either TurboTax 2021 has a bug or the person who wrote the article on e-filing an amended return is wrong.

I am getting the same error when I try to e-file my amended 2021 taxes... 

Ran into the same signature date problem as @dmcmtax reported... Ended up using the date that I e-Filed the original 2021 taxes - and maybe as the OP says, that is the problem that caused a validation error.  In my error statement it says had problems with validation, and also TurboTax reports:

- E - File for this agency and filing type is no longer available.  Please file any pending returns on paper.

SO, to echo @dmcmtax  - is the problem the signature date?  Or is the problem that it is too late to e-File 2021 amended taxes?  Inquiring minds want to know... Am hoping there is a fix/workaround to get the taxes e-File'd... will save time, and $$s...

I printed and mailed my amended returns. I accepted the answers that my question received. I could never successfully get past the date issue no matter if I used today's date or the original file date so I believe it is too late to e-file. 

yeah, I will probably have to print and mail in the amended return as well... but the info from Turbo Tax is misleading - it sounds like in 2021?  they started allowing the amended returns to be e-File'd... and Turbo Tax lets you almost e-File the return and errors out at the stage right before it is transmitted... almost like it leads us on, and then slams that door shut... I am hoping that the date of the signature is the problem, and that it can be fixed... we'll find out soon enough, I guess (I hope)... 

I had the same issue. It appeared as if I could e-file but could not. TurboTax should definitely remove the checkbox to e-file your amendment if the date has passed and that option is no longer available. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies