Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-File Amended 2021 Return

found this interesting thread on another Intuit Community forum, for Accountants... there is a solution to the problem of not being able to file a amended 2021 taxes -  in the software that they (professional tax preparers) use - a way to switch off the verification during the eFile... NOW, if only we could get the same feature in Turbo Tax (Premier - what I use), but I am guessing the reason Intuit might not want to do this would be that it might let through taxes with errors that should be fixed by the user prior to filing...  BUT STILL - it is a solution that would be OH SO USEFUL for our situation, where the tax file already passed the validation during the review/check for errors...  that could be a way that they implement it - the switch on Validation checking during eFile can be turned off, ONLY if the taxes have passed the review/check for errors... 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/re-error-primary-signat...

I decided to byte the bullet and snail-mail a hardcopy version of my taxes (seems so archaic versus E-Filing... I am so spoiled by E-Filing)... cost me a hefty amount of postage (via DHL, from overseas, and it was about 50 pages (what a waste of paper)), but figured I'd rather get it DONE and stop having it on my mind; and furtherMORE since it involves a nice sized refund - the sooner it gets to IRS, the sooner I will receive the refund for the Amended 2021 taxes... and at least with DHL, I can track the parcel, and after getting to IRS, I will be able to track it on the IRS web site => where's my (freakN) refund?

It sure would be nice if TurboTax fixed this issue.  They clearly state (in multiple places) that if you e-filed the original return, you can e-file the amended, with TurboTax.   The date bug needs to be fixed!!

Can I e-file a Form 1040-X?

Yes, the IRS began accepting e-filed amended returns for 2019 and later tax years. However, for an amended return to be electronically filed, your originally filed tax return has to have been electronically filed as well.
Can I e-file my federal Form 1040-X amended return?
Your 2022, 2021, or 2020 federal Form 1040-X amended return may be eligible for electronic filing if the original return was successfully e-filed using TurboTax.

I went thru the process of trying to e-file the amended return, which TT says I should be able to do in the final review step of the software, and I too got the date error and then that the e-file window is closed for a 2021 amended return.  Ugh, wish TurboTax would finally fix this date issue since the software clearly states e-file of amended is an option!!

I then went back to the file process and chose file by mail and TT is saying "The following returns have been transmitted.  Don't file returns by mail that have already been transmitted electronically".  

So.... did the amended return actually get e-filed??   Guess I have to wait and just check the IRS Where's my amended return? website page to see if TurboTax sent it??

There are some indications on the forum that TurboTax just recently turned on e-File of 2021 amended tax return.

guess I should have waited, as I ended up mailing mine in, received by IRS on March 22 (tracked via DHL, mailed from another country), and when I check the Where Is Mah Mighty Fine Refund web page on the IRS site, it can't find my return, and tells me that if sent via paper (not e-file), it could take upwards of 6 weeks to process (or maybe that web page doesn't work for amended returns?)...

thanks... tried it, and no info, but they said it takes awhile, probably longer than it has been since they received it...

OK, think I know why it didn't work when I tried the link that you, @kaydee provided... I did a google search on where is my amended return (something like that) and I got directed to this page:

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

When I go to the same web page in your post via this initial page, and enter the same info as I did when I tried your link (@kaydee), this time I get info that the IRS INDEED receive my amended return (and it says that it can take up to 16 weeks to process it)... hopefully they will accept my amended return changes, and provide the refund I figured via Turbo Tax, that I deserved... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies