turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jj234248

Does TT submit my 1099misc NEC forms to the IRS for my contractors? If so, can I submit them before the January 31st date, but not have my personal taxes competed yet?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Does TT submit my 1099misc NEC forms to the IRS for my contractors? If so, can I submit them before the January 31st date, but not have my personal taxes competed yet?

Yes, if you filed using an Intuit product, the forms will be electronically filed with the IRS.Those forms are used to create personal returns. Your personal return is not required until April 15.

Here is a link for those that need to file the 1099 for contractors.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How to I create and file the new 1099-NEC form? I paid $1500 to a landscaper and need to report that to the IRS and FTB in California by January 31st on the 1099-NEC.

@hslettel Did you pay him as a business expense?  You don't need to give him a 1099NEC for work you had done personally for you.  

How to prepare 1099Misc & W2
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/how-do-i-create-w-2-and-1099-forms-in-turbotax/00/25869

I had landscaping done on a rental property, so yes, it is a business.  My understanding is a 1099-NEC has be generated and sent to the contractor and the IRS for any work done over $600.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You are correct - The IRS states that you must file Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation (NEC), "for each person in the course of your business to whom you have paid at least $600 during the year."  The services have to be performed by someone who is not your employee (including parts and materials) (box 1).

Since you only have one to prepare, you can download Form 1099-NEC and instructions from the IRS website.

Thanks! I've done this now. I was thinking there might be a way to do it through TT premier since it handles rental income, but I guess not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies