Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Wash sale losses disallowed

All you did is tell me what I already know.  Try answering the question.

I totally agree with you.  Turbo Tax just is not accepting the information that is on the 1099-B.  How are we to get Turbo Tax to accept the information?  We can't override the software and the information isn't correct.  Now I was forced to send in a return that is not correct.  So my next step is to file an amended retrn.

So far we agree.  The wash sale loss is added to the basis of the new stock.  So then the affect of this disallowed loss does not affect the bottom line until the new stock is sold.  Thus the wash sale amount should be ignored until such time. However, Turbo Tax does not do this.  So the numbers do not match the 1099-B.  The issue lies the the right column h.  Despite the W marking it a wash sale is ignored and the calculations include the amount in the total.

Keep plugging away amedawar.  You are right and no matter how many times they tell you you're wrong  doesn't make them and TT online right.  I suggest you look elsewhere for an answer and if necessary file your return by regular mail.  If they can't help there are others that can and will at no cost.  Good luck

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies