Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mpiseter

Does not open the file, Keeps asking to install state return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

It sounds like you are using desktop software (CD/download).  What all are you doing?    And what tax year?    Are you preparing an original return?  Revisiting a prior year?  Preparing an amended return for one that you originally prepared online?    Are you using a Mac or Windows PC?

If a *.taxYYYY data file has a state return in it, the desktop software will not know how to handle it unless the state program is installed first.   So it can't open it until it has the state software installed.   Does your data file have just a single state in it, or does it have more than one?

Have you downloaded the state program into your software?     To download it, you may have to start a fake new return in the software just long enough to download the state program.

tom31

I have the same problem.  I'm trying to re-open my already-filed 2017 return, but SW keeps asking to load the state form. It appears to do so, but then asks to install again in an endless loop.  As a result, I can't open up the old return.

@ tom31 wrote:

I have the same problem.  I'm trying to re-open my already-filed 2017 return, but SW keeps asking to load the state form. It appears to do so, but then asks to install again in an endless loop.  As a result, I can't open up the old return.

"already-filed 2017 return"

1. Was it filed in Online TurboTax, or did you use 2017 desktop software to prepare and file the return?
  2. Is this California state by any chance?
  3. Are you using a Mac or PC?
  4. Have you run the program updater to be sure your product is up to date?

There was a known issue with that state loop situation about a month ago, especially with California and a Mac computer, but it affected mostly 2018 TurboTax.  So I'm not sure it would be the same situation with 2017 product.    I can tell you what to try or how to get help when you answer the 4 questions above.

pchinmoy

I am having the same issue. 

I filed 2017 tax return using Turbo Tax Premier Online. Filed for federal and CA state tax. Now I am trying to file an amendment using Mac and it keeps asking me to download the state return in a loop. What should i do? 

@ pchinmoy wrote:

I am having the same issue. 

I filed 2017 tax return using Turbo Tax Premier Online. Filed for federal and CA state tax. Now I am trying to file an amendment using Mac and it keeps asking me to download the state return in a loop. What should i do? 

Have you restarted your computer since installing the program?

Have you tried starting a fake new return just long enough to download the CA state software?  If so, does the problem with the CA loop still exist?  If so, see if the following info helps any.  

This was happening for some 2018 Mac users a few weeks ago in regards to California state download.   Maybe the same thing is happening in your 2017 software.

First be sure your 2017 software has the latest updates.  Has it updated?

If problem still occurs, then try the following maneuver which TurboTax Support mentioned a few weeks ago.  Maybe the state download is not being extracted.

1. Select the Go menu.
  2. Choose Go to Folder.
  3. Enter ~/Library and select Go.
  4. Navigate to the Application Support folder.
  5. Open the TurboTax folder.
  6. Open the forms folder and extract the state zipped folder listed there.
  7. Once completed, relaunch TurboTax.

If that doesn't solve it, here's how to phone Customer Support on Monday.

You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the Mac operating sytem, then indicate which Edition.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies