Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cobrapromotions
Returning Member

Does Intuit have ANY plans to fix the 1065 Partnership error that has existed for 2 filing years now?

Last year I spent over 6 hours on the phone with Intuit because I could not e-file my partnership 1065 return.  It kept insisting there are errors in the return.  It took me to the page where you have to enter a personal representative for the partnership.  After I entered all the information it say it requires, it then runs the error check again and would not let me e-file because it NOW says all the information I just entered for a personal representative cannot be entered since the partner filing the return (ME!) is not an EIN.  I finally gave up and paper filed the returns.

Fast forward to 2020 and low and behold, the same bug is in the 2019 software.  I re-installed the software and updates twice.  I installed the software on a new machine that has never had any intuit products on it.  Same problem.  E-file does not work for a 1065 partnership where the person filing the return is not an EIN . 

Am I the only one having this issue?

Who tests this software, a bunch of chimpanzees?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Does Intuit have ANY plans to fix the 1065 Partnership error that has existed for 2 filing years now?

I used these steps to clear the error for the designated partnership representative in the Token 618520 tax return:

1. Open the tax return in TurboTax Business;
  2. Go to Forms mode (icon top right in blue bar);
  3. Find the “Information Wks” in the left column (should be first form listed);
  4. Scroll down to Part V and check the box for Partnership Representative (PR);
  5. Find the “Form 1065 p1-3 (Not Done)" form in the left column (3rd form listed);
  6. Scroll to the very bottom and find the Designation of Partnership Representative section;
  7. Enter the address only in the fields shaded red just under your name.

After that, no errors reported for this issue in the tax return I opened.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Resolved the problem by electing out of the Centralized Partnership Audit Regime. It then is not necessary to designate a Partnership Representative.

View solution in original post

39 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2019" file that is experiencing this issue.  You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions:

On your menu bar at the very top, click “Online” and then “Send Tax File to Agent”.  When you click to send, you will get a pop-up with a token number.  Reply with the token number and I’ll be able to open a TurboTax tax return with your numbers but not your personal information.  That may help diagnose the issue.

Note that if you are eligible to elect out of the Centralized Partnership Audit Regime, it is not necessary to designate a Partnership Representative.  According to the IRS Instructions for Form 1065, on page 11 of the PDF at this link:

"A partnership is an eligible partnership in the tax year if it has 100 or fewer eligible partners. Eligible partners are individuals, C corporations, S corporations, foreign entities that would be C corporations if they were domestic entities, and estates of deceased partners."

Lana7

I am having the same issue with my Partnership 2020 return now.  Did you figure out the work around?

cobrapromotions
Returning Member

@DavidS127 token # 618520.  Applied all updates, it says I cannot e-file because those fields are not populated.  If I fill them in, it says I cannot e-file due to errors which are those fields being populated in error.  Catch-22... 

@Lana7 only viable option until Intuit decides to actually admit they have a problem and fix it is to paper file your return... which had to be postmarked by 3/15 so I mailed mine yesterday.

I'm not holding my breath since they never fixed the problem since I reported it in March 2019...

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I used these steps to clear the error for the designated partnership representative in the Token 618520 tax return:

1. Open the tax return in TurboTax Business;
  2. Go to Forms mode (icon top right in blue bar);
  3. Find the “Information Wks” in the left column (should be first form listed);
  4. Scroll down to Part V and check the box for Partnership Representative (PR);
  5. Find the “Form 1065 p1-3 (Not Done)" form in the left column (3rd form listed);
  6. Scroll to the very bottom and find the Designation of Partnership Representative section;
  7. Enter the address only in the fields shaded red just under your name.

After that, no errors reported for this issue in the tax return I opened.

Lana7

Thank you David.  It worked!!! I was able to file electronically today and not to worry about meeting tomorrow's paper deadline.  Really appreciate your expertise!

sbpoll

This worked perfectly. Thank you!

I am having this same error in trying to file my 2020 taxes.  My diagnostics number is 756358

I am having the same issue. Did you get your resolved? 

Resolved the problem by electing out of the Centralized Partnership Audit Regime. It then is not necessary to designate a Partnership Representative.

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!  This worked!!!!!!!!!

I opted out of Centralized Partnership Audit Regime.  Had to search a bit to find it.  Then I had to enter the SS#s with dashes, otherwise it doesn't recognize it.

But I successfully filed my taxes.  Thank you Yanjun98

pkkeefe47

Just invested the same six+ hours on the same issue for the second year.  Last year [2019] a 'live' contact told me the issue was New Jersey.  Questions: Why are there software issues the last two years and not earlier?  Why am I paying for 1065 e-filing for Federal and New Jersey and unable to use it? I have been a TurboTax user since the days of the 3.5 floppies that were known as MacInTax.  Please help avoid future disappointment with this part of the product.  Patrick

cao92114

In 2021 (for 2020 return), I tried DavidS127's solution, but it didn't work for me.  The problem was when TurboTax Business loaded last year (2019) tax file, under Business Info, Partner/Member Information somehow it put a check "This partner is not a person. It is an LLC or other business entity"  I unchecked the box, and it solved the problem

MRTTuser

Tried the previous workaround above. no luck. What I had to do, was in the step by step partner information, uncheck the box what was something like "this partner is the designated partnership representative" Then go to the "form 1065 p1-3 (not done) then enter my name address, etc in the top area which was now blank and red highlighted. the bottom red highlighted area for the designated partnership was now not visible, as before where BOTH areas were visible with the top unable to change (black type) and into that furious loop of add address then it tells me to remove it. 

csmeutah

I unmark "This member is not a person.  It is an LLC or other business entity" for both partners, continue through and click done.  when I go back it doesn't save and it still requires the additional address, this is really frustrating.  Anyone know how to unclick the box and keep the setting?..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies