turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rickgeyer
Returning Member

Does 2020 Self-employed version ($90) generate Form 1096? And file it electronically?

Does 2020 Self-Employed edition generate Form 1099-NECs? Does it create Form 1096?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Does 2020 Self-employed version ($90) generate Form 1096? And file it electronically?

Yes, you'd use the Self Employed Online version (or the TurboTax Home & Business Desktop version) to prepare your Forms 1099-NEC.  You'll be directed to TurboTax Quick Employer Forms, where you'll follow instructions for preparation and printing.

If you e-file your forms using QEF, you don't need to file Form 1096 at all.  I'm linking you to instructions on how to prepare your forms for contractors (or W-2s for employees) below.

How do I create W-2 and 1099 Forms in TurboTax? 

I'm also linking you to a FAQ page for Quick Employer Forms.  It's a great source of info for anyone using the program.  You'll see your question about filing Form 1096 answered near the bottom of the list.

Quick Employer Forms | Common Questions (FAQ) (intuit.com)

*Please click the thumbs-up icon if this response was helpful.
**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Champ Kat, Can you help me out? TT H&B has a similar W-2 , 1099 input screen accessed through Start a new return. Filled out and sent paper copies just out fine. Program dead ends at Final steps. No 1096 or electronic file available. What am I missing? Hate to do the whole thing over in EQF.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Form 1096 is not needed when you e-file the 1099-MISC.  The link will take you to a page of FAQs about Quick Employer Forms.

If you need or want a IRS Form 1096 for your own records you can use this link to print one.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Not my question. TT H& B does not let you file 1099 NEC electronically when you use the "Start a New Return " option that leads you to filling out W-2s and 1099 NEC. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You are correct.  In TurboTax Home and Business, when you get to the print/save option, select print.  Then select that you want all filing forms (the top button). This will print all forms for mailing with instructions, including the Form 1096 and the IRS Service Center address list.   

@WilHen02   Are you using the Windows Home & Business or on a Mac?  In Windows you get 2 choices to do them.

If you buy the Desktop CD/Download Home & Business program for Windows or the separate Turbo Tax Business program you can prepare W2 & 1099 on your computer using the built in W2/1099 Reporter or online using the QEF Quick Employer Forms.

If you select to do them online using the Quick Employer Forms the forms are efiled to the IRS.  You then print the copies to give out to your people and print copies for yourself.  See this for more info…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/what-is-quick-employer-forms/00/25916

If you select to do them on your computer you are responsible to mail the forms to the IRS.

Thank you for the kind reply. Feeling frustrated and disappointed in TT this year. More and more every year actually. Been a steady user for some 30 something years. 

I've used EQF for years. I cannot retrieve last years forms for prefilled data. The 2019 form lock out to October 2020 was never highlighted, and no,  a suggestion to save PDF on own computer does not cover lack of notice of lock out.

Disk would not load so I downloaded online with disk key as the disk box suggested.

Filling wage files from within program gives no advice that e-file is not possible, does TT fill out 1096 of provide access to IRS approved paper forms. Makes the little check box on the box telling the service you are paying for is far less than last year and is far short of service provided.

Thank you as an individual.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Since you have already purchased Home and Business for 2020, when you click on the Choose Online link from TurboTax Desktop or Self-Employed you can then sign into the account you used last year and access all of your previous years data.   At the top of the QEF page, you would select 'Previous Year'.   

Thank you Dawn C for your effort.

I know how to use EQF, just can't get signed in to old account. More to do with a bad memory stick and saved passwords. TT keeps sending me to new identity without letting me back to old.

I am really not comfortable with the idea of having other peoples SS #s and data saved on my personal computer behind only a consumer grade security system. Hence the preference for EQF. I do NOT want other peoples identity saved on my computer. Paper in the file cabinet does not preload next year though.

I do hope TT will improve their product by making the limitations of doing W-2, 1099 input within TT before you reach the Final Steps stage. Before you begin. The Final Steps should be a whole lot clearer that there is only an option to paper file W-3s and 1096s.

Will bite the bullet and just re-enter in EQF all over again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies