turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to attach my federal extension form when I e-file both my federal and state tax returns?

When I look at the forms that TurboTax intends to send through efile (via print preview "all forms required for filing"), I don't see it attaching my approved federal extension form.  Do I need to attach anything extra or just let TurboTax efile the forms as it suggests?  thanks for any help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to attach my federal extension form when I e-file both my federal and state tax returns?

No you do not have to attach any forms if you requested an extension.   If the IRS accepted your  extension request then they already know it.   Just file the return normally.  You have until mid-October to e-file; after that e-filing will close.

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The IRS already knows that you filed an extension request for tax year 2021, Form 4868, if you e-filed or printed and mailed the extension request.  The form is not filed with the 2021 tax return.

No you do not have to attach any forms if you requested an extension.   If the IRS accepted your  extension request then they already know it.   Just file the return normally.  You have until mid-October to e-file; after that e-filing will close.

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks so much - great point on entering payment into the system (if one was made)

So one quick follow up - Can i file my state return as normal efile through turbotax as well?  or do i need to attach an extension somehow as well?   both my federal and state returns are in a refund situation 

thank you again !

Yes you can file both federal and state normally.   E-filing is available until mid-October.  If you are getting a refund it does not matter whether you have an extension.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies