turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I check the new child/ dependent box if I am the new dependent?

I have in the past been claimed as a dependent by my parents, however that is no longer the case and was wondering if i use the new child/ dependent option to list that change or if it happens somewhere else.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you are not being claimed as a dependent and you cannot be claimed as a dependent then you do not check that box.

"new child?"   No.   You are not a new child---not sure where you are seeing that.    Are you trying to say that you CAN be claimed as a dependent or that you cannot be claimed as someone else's dependent?   The rule is if you CAN be claimed then you have to say in My Info that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.

The question about whether you can be claimed as a dependent appears in My Info.   Do you meet the criteria to be claimed as someone else's qualifying child or qualifying relative?   If do you do, then you say YES to that question.   If you do not fit the criteria to be claimed then you say NO.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/dependents/help/when-do-i-have-to-answer-yes-to-being-claimed-as-a...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So you need to file as an independent this year?  You are not a new dependent.  You just file your own return and under My Info say NO on question #3 can anyone claim you.

Claim Yourself.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies