Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dlf1981
Returning Member

Direct Deposit Information Filled with X in Amended Return with Refund

My original e-file return has to be amended and my refund amount has changed. As such, I need the direct deposit information to appear on my return. TurboTax is filling 33b and 33d with X so I cannot write my bank info in, and I cannot find any way to enter this information in the application. Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The IRS never makes  a direct deposit for a refund based on an amended return.  They will only mail a check to the address on your tax return, so you cannot enter banking information on an amended return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I don't know what form you are looking at that has bank information on lines 33b and 33d. Did you mean lines 35b and 35d on a 2020 Form 1040? The revised Form 1040 is not your amended return. Form 1040-X is the amended return. There is no place for bank information on Form 1040-X because refunds for amended returns are not paid by direct deposit. It doesn't matter what's on the revised Form 1040 because that is not used for paying the refund.

See 1040X Amended Instructions 

Amend Refund.jpg

The IRS has updated 1040x and it will now do direct deposit for tax year 2021 and later.  (this info is from the IRS website - Instructions for Form 1040-X (01/2023) | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov))  There is room for the bank account info on lines 31-33.  However, TurboTax has not updated its software, or its forms, and will not allow the bank account information to be inserted.  Will TurboTax be updating its software?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Per IRS Direct deposit is not available on amended returns submitted on paper.

@LIttleEgret 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies