Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did not give me the proper child credit. Only gave 500 instead of the 2000. How do I fix?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Did not give me the proper child credit. Only gave 500 instead of the 2000. How do I fix?

If the child is age 17 or older in 2020 they are no longer eligible for the Child Tax Credit.  They are eligible for the $500 Other Dependent tax credit.

He was 16 

@barb4961 wrote:

He was 16 

Just to verify - If he turned 17 at any time in 2020, even if on 12/31/2020 he is not eligible for CTC.

Then you will need to check his date of birth in the My Info section of the program.  Click on My Info on the left side of the screen and edit the dependent.  Makes sure it is in the correct format MM/DD/YYYY

If the date of birth is correct, then delete him as a dependent and re-enter him as a dependent.

I submit and has been accepted.   Can't edit now, can I amend

@barb4961 wrote:

I submit and has been accepted.   Can't edit now, can I amend

If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

The Form 1040-X is scheduled to be available on 02/18/2021

Why would turbo not give me proper credit when I filed??

@barb4961 wrote:

Why would turbo not give me proper credit when I filed??

If the date of birth was wrong and he was shown as being 17 or older then the program gave the correct $500 credit.

Excellent question.  I have the same issue on another platform and I know her DOB was entered right.

Does your child have a Social Security number?   If they do not have a SSN, you can only get the $500 credit with an ITIN.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Barb -I figured out my own issue.  Sharing here in case someone else has problem.  I figured out it was because I had not entered her SSN.  Once I entered that my system correctd the credit.  Thankfully!  Anyhow, might not just be DOB.

@barb4961

I figured it out while you were posting this.  THANKS!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies