turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dependent child's income

My daughter is 21 and a full time student. She worked in summer so had some earnings but less than  $12000. I filed her return with the option that she can be claimed as dependent. 

Now when I file my taxes, do I add her income into my income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

dependent child's income

If a child’s income is only from investments, there are some times when it can be included on a parent’s return. A child’s income from working is never included on a parent’s return and is only reported on a return in their own name. This does not by itself change whether they qualify to be your dependent, you look at the overall picture including where they live, their age, their student status, and how much support you provide compared with how much of their own support they provide.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

dependent child's income

you do not enter her income on your return. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

dependent child's income

You do not report his/her income on your return. If it has to be reported, at all, it goes on his own return. If your dependent child is under age 19 (or under 24 if a full time student), he or she must file a tax return for 2020 if he had any of the following:

1.          Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $12,400 (2020).
  2.          Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, unemployment) of more than $1100.
  3.          Unearned income over $350 and gross income of more than $1100
  4.          Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2100 ($12,400 if under age 18)
  5.          Other self employment income over $432, including money on a form 1099-NEC

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

dependent child's income

If a child’s income is only from investments, there are some times when it can be included on a parent’s return. A child’s income from working is never included on a parent’s return and is only reported on a return in their own name. This does not by itself change whether they qualify to be your dependent, you look at the overall picture including where they live, their age, their student status, and how much support you provide compared with how much of their own support they provide.

dependent child's income

Mike and all, 

Its a long story but I provide 100% support of my dependent daughter who worked part time while taking care of my disabled wife here at home. She only made $6,000 and Turbo Tax is saying she is not a dependent any longer.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

John Schulte

dependent child's income

@John Schulte You refer to your "dependent daughter"  but do not mention how old she was at the end of 2021.   How old was she?  Was she older than 18?   If she was NOT a full-time student in 2021, and had over $4350 of income in 2021 you cannot claim her as a dependent.      You say she worked and earned $6000.

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

dependent child's income

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are excluded from the support calculation
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

If your daughter does not meet the QC rules, then she must have less than $4350 of income (for 2021) to be a Qualifying relative dependent.  Having provided 100% of her support is not enough.  She must also meet the income test.

See full dependent rules at: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

dependent child's income

Thanks @Hal_Al  and @xmasbaby0 Thanks for the quick reply.  She is not a college student and actually over 30 so it looks like we can't claim her.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies