turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cebax
Returning Member

Custodial Parent

In 2019 we have taken in a non-related 17yr old teen.  She left her home because of family issues so she could focus on schooling.  She first left home in 2/2019 first staying with my sister-in-law and has been staying with us since 8/2019.

In completing her taxes it asks about the custodial parent.  Am I eligible to be listed as the Custodial Parent?  We are not legal guardians, but she only lived with her biological mother for 1 month in 2019.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Custodial Parent

Since she is not related to you, to claim her as a dependent on your tax return she must have lived in your home for the entire year.  Since she did not, you do Not enter her as a dependent on your tax return.

cebax
Returning Member

Custodial Parent

Yes. I did already discover that, and she was not claimed on my return.  On her return it asks for a Custodial Parent because she is under the age of 24.  Do I qualify as a Custodial Parent even though I have no legal guardianship?

Custodial Parent

@cebax wrote:

Yes. I did already discover that, and she was not claimed on my return.  On her return it asks for a Custodial Parent because she is under the age of 24.  Do I qualify as a Custodial Parent even though I have no legal guardianship?

Why is she filing a tax return?  Did she earn income and have taxes withheld on a W-2 so that she will be receiving a tax refund?  Or did she have self-employment income of $400 or more?

No, you are not the Custodial Parent.  The custodial parent is who the child lived with for over one-half of the year.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies