Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Check this Entry - Form 1116

Check this Entry - Form 1116 (COPY1) -Foreign Tax Credit Comp Wks: Paid/Accrued boxes must be entered - how do I resolve this message?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you have only one type of foreign income, you complete just one Form 1116. All Form 1116 filers must choose how they regard their income: on a cash basis or an accrual basis.

• If your budget doesn't recognize income until you receive it, you use the cash method.  Most individuals use the cash method.
  • If your budget records income when you earn it rather than when you get paid, you use the accrual method.

You should go back to your original foreign income entry to resolve the Form 1116 error. 

Click this link for detailed info on Form 1116

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you have only one type of foreign income, you complete just one Form 1116. All Form 1116 filers must choose how they regard their income: on a cash basis or an accrual basis.

• If your budget doesn't recognize income until you receive it, you use the cash method.  Most individuals use the cash method.
  • If your budget records income when you earn it rather than when you get paid, you use the accrual method.

You should go back to your original foreign income entry to resolve the Form 1116 error. 

Click this link for detailed info on Form 1116

Thanks for the help!  This information was imported and I suspect that's where the glitch was.  I ended up just deleting the form out of TT and that seemed to resolve it as putting zero's in the blanks did not.

I have a foreign tax credit carry over from 2020.  It looks like Form 1116 is ready, but not Form 1116 Schedule B which looks like now will be ready Mar 31.  Also, it states that this form is nor supported for E filing.  Can someone from Turbo Tax address this issue.  Will I be able to file now by mail without this form or do I need to wait till Mar 31?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may forgo reporting the foreign tax carryforward this year and report it next year, thus eliminating the need for Form 1116, Schedule B, for this year. If you report it next year, you will have a 8-year carryforward period to use it or lose it. When you report it next year, be sure to report in the year 2020. You will need to input this manually next year.

@estamas142

robon

TurboTax posted the updated Form. Today is March 4, 2022 and I was able to complete my taxes with the updated form.

Thanks Dave!  That helps a lot. beach I would like to file ASAP.  So, if I forego the foreign tax credit carry over this year, should I just delete form 1116 form from my taxes or just file without fixing the error that comes up when I review?  

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, but you should delete in the program first where the entry was first made. Then delete the form if it is still there after deleting in the program. This way, you can be sure that the form or entry is gone for this year so you can file without any delays.

OldBob38
Returning Member

I have the same error but have 2 separate foreign sources, 1 is a netherlands company but the other is my Schwab 1099 which just lists a small $58 foreign tax paid.  This has never been a problem before and we've always taken the tax credit.  I'm afraid I don't know what to do here.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, what is the amount of income for the Netherlands Company and is this also investment income?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies