Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

awsmed
Returning Member

Cannot save tax file

Having the same issue with TurboTax Deluxe 2022.  TurboTax imports tax return from 2021, when I try to save the file, it results in a "file not found" error, which doesn't make sense as this if the first time I am saving the file.  Had to make a copy of the 2021 TurboTax file and then change the 2021 in the file name to 2022.   Since there are no TurboTax 2022 Documents, it still couldn't "find" the file, so I had to select "All files" for "Save As Type"  Once I did that, TurboTax asked if I wanted to replace the existing file, to which I responded yes.  TurboTax then saved the file as a TurboTax 2022 Document.  Seems like this a bug that Intuit need to address. 

Cannot save tax file

The early beta version of the program is alway very buggy with updates happening almost daily ... patience will be needed until the end of January when most of the bugs are worked out and most of the fed/state forms are available. 

Make sure you are saving to your hard drive in the documents folder and not to the cloud or a removable storage device.  Also make sure your computer is the same as when you installed the program ... like if you had a thumb drive in the port it must always be in the port. 

mongobmon

Cannot save tax file

Why can I not save a return in progress without some crazy code I never signed up for?

Cannot save tax file

@mongobmon wrote:

Why can I not save a return in progress without some crazy code I never signed up for?

What tax year are you working on?

What TurboTax program are you using?  The TurboTax online web-based edition or the TurboTax desktop CD/Download edition installed on a personal computer.

If using the online edition for tax year 2022 the tax return information is saved as it is entered.

If using the desktop editions click on the File menu at the top left of the desktop program screen.  Click on Save or Save as...

dah7639

Cannot save tax file

When I go to exit my turbo tax the message says "cannot save this file, unplug your computer and try again.'

It gives me an error code. What is the cause of this?

Carl
Level 15

Cannot save tax file

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Cannot save tax file

Can you please provide the specific error code you are receiving?

@dah7639

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Cannot save tax file

FWIW, regardless of the error code, the message to "unplug the computer" (if accurately reported) has got to be one of the lamest error message I've seen in a long time, especially when trying to close an application.

Unplug what? Power? Network? Other?

If power, and the user is on a desktop, then data is lost. If the user is on a laptop, nothing will happen unless the battery is dead.

In any case, I would encourage dah to attempt to save the return before closing the application.

He might even get a better error message/code.

Finally, since most people end up here because of "controlled folders", there are reasonable steps in a post from Carl on page 3 of this thread.

dah7639

Cannot save tax file

Problem solved, thank you all.

Go to settings,> virus threats protection > to manage settings > manager control folder access > to protected

folders.

Then I added Turbo Tax 2023, that was the fix.

dnww
Level 1

Cannot save tax file

Using Windows 10: Same issue.  You have to open TurboTax as Administrator if the program just refuses to save no matter what you do.  Type in Administrator in your search bar next to the Windows icon (bottom left screen).  Click on pop up Administration Tools.  Find your previously saved tax file if you can.  Right click on the file you want to open and click open as Administrator.  You should be good to save after that.  Just be sure to only hit Save when saving your session.  I found the can't save error when I hit "Save As" to put it in the place I wanted it.  Immediate error.  I had to close the program and reopen from TurboTax loosing all my work.  At one point I had to restart my computer, because I impulsively hit save as. 

mnchean

Cannot save tax file

I'm working on the tax return 2022, using TurboTax deluxe.  When I exit the program, it asks me to save the file.  I click yes, then it says, file not found. Click the file name and try again.  What file name?  This is the first time I tried to save the file.

dah7639

Cannot save tax file

Go to settings>update security.

On left side open windows security.

Open virus and threat protection.

Click on manage settings.

Go to control folder access.

Click on manage folder access.

Click on  allow an app through controll folder access.

Type in turbo tax 2022.  ( you may not need to put the 2022, maybe on turbo tax.

Should be ok. 

Carl
Level 15

Cannot save tax file

Click on allow an app through controll folder access.

Type in turbo tax 2022. ( you may not need to put the 2022, maybe on turbo tax.

To avoid typing it in wrong (as most do) just select the drop down for "denied/blocked programs" (or something like that) and select the TurboTax program.  It "will" be in that list, since it's obvious the user tried to save it before, and it was blocked.

Cannot save tax file

Works! 

I have Windows 11, Navigate to the same "Controlled Folder Access" setting, but the navigation to the location was a little different.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies