Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot efile? Says I need Form 8995/QBI?

So I had to file for self employment because I made over $600 in ebay sales through paypal (MA). I'm trying  to finish my taxes but now it says the Form 8995 and QBI Deduction Simplified Calculation forms aren't ready so I can't do those. Problem is.. I don't have a business at all. How do I even do these?? Do I need to? This is causing me a lot of anxiety since I've never had to do these forms!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The Social Security Administration wants to make sure you get credit for working towards your social security. You must pay Medicare and Social Security Tax on income earned. The IRS collects it for them on Form SE for the self-employed. While you may not feel self-employed, you must report your income and pay those taxes using the only form available.

Because you are now considered a business, you can also deduct any expenses you may have. You also qualify to deduct 20% of the income from the business and not pay taxes on it under QBI. The IRS requires you to take every deduction to which you are entitled. It will be an easy click of a button and poof, lower tax bill.

The IRS does not open until February 12. They work on forms from most common to least common. See Federal form availability for expected release dates. Once released, we work to incorporate them quickly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for posting that link, it shows today's date but doesn't say "available" yet. Will keep checking.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Glad to help!

Thank you. I also had an expert call me because I was near tears. I don’t think I’ll be selling in MA anymore after this.

ntabayeh
Returning Member

It says the form is available today, and I updated the software, but it is still telling me that form is unavailable and I have to mail my return. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Wait until it actually has the word Available rather than the date.

Related: Calculate Your Employment Taxes

@ntabayeh

ntabayeh
Returning Member

Do you mean wait until the word file is ready? When will that be? And how do I check to see when that is available?

ntabayeh
Returning Member

It says available. 

D885A0ED-CFCD-4E9B-A3CA-18839BBBC0A3.jpeg

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I concur about the availability.  First step is to make sure your software is up to date, next be sure to clear your cache and cookies from your browser.  Please update the issue if you continue to experience this.

ntabayeh
Returning Member

I have updated the software and cleared my cache and cookies but still no luck. It still says the forms are unavailable and I have to mail my return instead of e-file. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@ntabayeh I am so sorry you are having trouble. I suggest you change browsers since clearing C & C did not help. If changing browsers does not work,  you can fill this form out for someone to call you.

You should be able to file with the 8995 and receive the QBI without having to mail in your forms.

ntabayeh
Returning Member

Thanks for the help. But I am using the CD not online. Does the same apply?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The Form 8995 for desktop version should be available.  To check availability, click here: Forms available

• If you are using the TurboTax CD/Download software program, open TurboTax and select Check for Updates from the Online menu near the top.

Form 8995  "Qualified Business Income Deduction Simplified Computation" is used to figure your qualified business income (QBI) deduction. Individual taxpayers and some trusts and estates may be entitled to a deduction of up to 20% of their net QBI from a trade or business.  

ntabayeh
Returning Member

It is available. It says it’s been available since 2/4. I have done everything you have said and it still says the form is not available and I must mail in my forms. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies