Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cannot download 2019 Amend CD/Download??

how do you  undo an amended state in the tubotax amend online version??? i am being charged to amend state!

@Classychic87  The option to amend using TurboTax online was available in the late afternoon on 2/26/20 so the links to download via CD should also be available now too! Please be polite and respectful with your comments, you're not the only one who is having issues with this, I'm pretty sure the "generic" answers you're referring to are automated responses!

Carl
Level 15

Already E-Filed and Need To Change

If you have already E-filed your tax return and need to make a change for any reason, then you have no choice but to wait until the IRS processes your E-filed return. If the IRS rejects your E-filed return, then you can just make the necessary changes and resubmit it. You **DO** **NOT** amend a rejected or pending return. If you do, then you’ll find yourself in a never-ending nightmare from which you will not awaken for a looooong time.

If the IRS accepts your E-filed return, then you must WAIT until the IRS has processed your return. If you have a refund due your return is not processed until you have received your refund. If you owe taxes, your refund is not processed until you have paid those taxes and your payment has cleared your financial institution. Once processing is complete, you will need to file an amended return. You cannot e-file an amended return. The IRS says you can’t. You have to print it, sign it (both the 1040 and 1040X) and mail it to the IRS.

If your E-Filed return is pending, and you change anything on your copy of your return, then you are guaranteed to have major issues with correcting or amending it later. So for your own sanity, do not touch anything until it’s time, as clarified above.

If your e-filed return is rejected, it is **NOT** e-filed. You do **NOT** amend a rejected return. There are no exceptions to this.

An amended return must be printed, signed and mailed. The IRS says so.

If my return is accepted, why do I have to wait for my refund before I can amend it?

Just because the IRS has accepted your return, does not mean that they agree with it. Sometimes, the IRS will “catch” your error (or some other error you don’t know about) and go ahead and correct it for you. You’ll know that when your refund is not what you expected.  So you have to wait for the refund.  If that happens to you, then you will receive a letter 3-4 weeks after you receive your refund, explaining what was changed, why it was changed, and with instructions on what actions to take if your dispute the change. If you receive such a letter and agree with the changes the IRS made, post in this forum with the details (without including personal information) and we'll try to help you get your copy of the return in agreement with the IRS changes, so you won't have issues importing next year.

the windows amend cd software link does not work! I have tried chrome, opera, firefox. that link doesnt work!

@Carl what are you talking about posting long letters? I was told by the irs to amend. The original has been processed!! I am trying to download the amend software and it's not working. that link is dead. software amend for windows free, deluxe link dont work. many browsers i have tried...

@Classychic87 wrote:

the windows amend cd software link does not work! I have tried chrome, opera, firefox. that link doesnt work!

There is not amend software for 2019.  If you filed your 2019 tax return using the TurboTax online editions, the tax return is amended using the online editions.

An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

On the Tax Home web page when the Form 1040X for amending a 2019 tax return becomes available there will be a link - Amend (change) return

See this TurvrboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/01/123845...

@DoninGA I got my refund already. I also have a 2 in front of me that i got late. I need to file this. Again when I file it is charging me $40 for federal and $40 for state. I don't need to file state. and there is no way of removing it from the amend software....online edition.

I am in the processing of amending my return now....i selected dont want to file state. once i got to the end it's still there charging me $40 for state and $40 for federal =$80 can't manually remove anything

@Classychic87 wrote:

@DoninGA I got my refund already. I also have a 2 in front of me that i got late. I need to file this. Again when I file it is charging me $40 for federal and $40 for state. I don't need to file state. and there is no way of removing it from the amend software....online edition.

See if you can delete the state program by using the procedure in this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-on...

I tried that, those directions are for starting a brand new return e-file. I have the amended open. The instructions say if you have already registered or paid fees then you can't delete state. This is a big mess on turbotax end. And there is no way of removing it from my amended either. it will be $80. or do they give service codes? I cant afford to pay $80

Carl
Level 15

I was told by the irs to amend.

You are not the only person that will see that post. So it's all inclusive for anyone that comes across it in a search. Not everyone who amends or needs to amend is instructed to do so by the IRS.

One thing that seems to be a real PITA every year, is that the IRS originally states the 1040-X will be available around mid Feb. But it never is. TTX can only work with the dates the IRS provides. So TTX may have it in their time line plans for that original date. Then the date changes and throws everything out of kilter for the time line plan.

Then when it actually does become available, it's a real scramble to "get it out there" as fast as possible for the tax software companies such as TurboTax.

@Classychic87 wrote:

I tried that, those directions are for starting a brand new return e-file. I have the amended open. The instructions say if you have already registered or paid fees then you can't delete state. This is a big mess on turbotax end. And there is no way of removing it from my amended either. it will be $80. or do they give service codes? I cant afford to pay $80

Then you will need to contact TurboTax support for assistance with this matter.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489

Omnitron

I am trying to amend my 2019 return, but what I need to amend requires using the Download/CD version, even though original filing was with Online. In theory that's fine since "Amend (change) my return", on the Tax Home page, says "You can amend your return using either TurboTax Online (recommended) or TurboTax CD/download (Windows only)". The problem is that after clicking that CD/download link, and then clicking "Download Amendment Software",  we get the following error. 

This site can’t be reached

nexus.intuit.net’s server IP address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

@Omnitron wrote:

I am trying to amend my 2019 return, but what I need to amend requires using the Download/CD version, even though original filing was with Online. In theory that's fine since "Amend (change) my return", on the Tax Home page, says "You can amend your return using either TurboTax Online (recommended) or TurboTax CD/download (Windows only)". The problem is that after clicking that CD/download link, and then clicking "Download Amendment Software",  we get the following error. 

This site can’t be reached

nexus.intuit.net’s server IP address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Try this TurboTax website for the 2019 amend software for a Windows PC - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/amend/ty19/

mason7989
Returning Member

But that is the exact page that has the broken link. I go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/amend/ty19/, then click on either link to the software and get the message: "can’t reach this page" for the link. It has nothing to do with whether the forms are ready, because the link itself it broken.

I also cannot use the online version to create my amended return even though I used the online version to file my taxes. I have a form 1099-C and I have to include Form 892 which was not available in the online amendment version. It says I must contact a tax pro and there is no option for this form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies