turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carolb6

Can you count expenses (furniture) from the previous year before you started your property mgt business in 2021

I purchased beds and dressers for example for my start up but we didn't actually take a renter until Jan 2021
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can you count expenses (furniture) from the previous year before you started your property mgt business in 2021

With respect to assets (real or personal property), cost recovery does not begin until the assets are placed in service.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

With respect to assets (real or personal property), cost recovery does not begin until the assets are placed in service.

Carl
Level 15

Can you be more specific on just what your property management business is/does?

Do you own the property and rent it out? If so, is this long term rental that a renter would call "home"? Or a short term vacation rental like you would get on VRBO or AirB&B?

Maybe you manage property that others own?

I ask this,because based on my interpretation of what you posted, I'm not clear if this is a SCH C business or SCH E business. This matters for taxes and can also affect (in some instances) how you treat assets such as furniture for the property being rented out.

@Carl wrote:

...I'm not clear if this is a SCH C business or SCH E business....

It actually makes no difference since assets (such as furniture) would not be deducted (directly or via a cost recovery method) until the assets were placed in service.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies