turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't delete 1099 MISC; TT keeps asking for EIN

I'm using the desktop version of Home and Business on a Mac. My spouse received a 1099-MISC. I entered the information. Then we received a 1099-NEC with a note stating we should use the NEC instead of the MISC. We removed the entry for the MISC and entered the NEC. Now, when trying to file, I keep getting the error that I need to fill in the "Payer's federal EIN" for a 1099-MISC. When I go to Forms, the MISC form does not show in the left pane but the right pane shows an empty MISC form with the EIN box highlighted. I can't find any delete button or option to delete. I tried ignoring this error and moving forward to file. After inputting all the final bank and payment info, it returns to that error and won't let me file. Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Answered my own question. Solution was to enter a EIN number, which then caused the form to appear in the left panel. Then, I could delete the form. Bizarre but worked. 

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Answered my own question. Solution was to enter a EIN number, which then caused the form to appear in the left panel. Then, I could delete the form. Bizarre but worked. 

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

With the 1099-MISC showing in the right pane, select the Form tab in the top bar and then select Remove Form 1099-MISC (Untitled) from the drop down menu. See the attached screen shot for how this appears.

Since the Form 1099-MISC is not showing in the left column, you may have trouble getting it to appear in the right pane. If so, use the Open Form tab to get it to display.

tbustin79

How do you delete this on the mobile app or regular log in for turbo tax? There are no document options and from my research it says to go into tools and delete the document but tools is nowhere to be found. I keep trying to file and it won't let me as it wants 1099-NEC form to be filled out. It also mentions spouse which I am single. I double checked my primary info and it also shows single. Not sure how to delete this.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@tbustin79 Please sign into your same account on a web browser TurboTax Login. Then follow the instructions in the TurboTax FAQ below on how to delete a form. I have also included a screenshot below.

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

My screen does not look anything like yours.  I can't look up forms.  Using Premium.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@mcloudgrace You may view and delete forms by following the steps listed here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sharyld99
Returning Member

this doesn't work.....it keep coming back

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

@sharyld99

You may need to enter the EIN for the 1099-MISC in order to get it in so you can then delete it.  That was suggested by another user above.

@smileyst

If you received a 1099-misc and a 1099-NEC, you may need to enter both tax reporting documents into the software, unless one of them is voided.  If they are both issued for the same information, you may need to go back to the payer, asking them to void the one that is no applicable if both are not needed in the return.

The 1099-NEC is used this year to report nonemployee compensation (used to be reported on the 1099-MISC), however, the 1099-MISC was changed this year to remove the nonemployee compensation box and the 1099-NEC was created new this year to be used to report only "nonemployee compensation"

sharyld99
Returning Member

yes....tried that.  it keeps coming back.

i have the MAC download.  it doesn't go away.

it duplicates then i can delete one and it keeps coming back

sharyld99
Returning Member

i only received a 1099-NEC. 

last year I received a 1099-MISC.

i do not have any information to enter on the 1099-MISC and I cannot make it go away.

I did enter the 1099-NEC correctly

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Once you enter the EIN for the 1099-MISC, then you can delete it.

Form 1099-NEC. Newly created for tax year 2020-

The PATH Act, P.L. 114-113, Div. Q, sec. 201, accelerated the due date for filing Form 1099 that includes nonemployee compensation (NEC) from February 28 to January 31 and eliminated the automatic 30-day extension for forms that include NEC. Beginning with tax year 2020, use Form 1099-NEC to report nonemployee compensation.

Redesigned Form 1099-MISC.

Due to the creation of Form 1099-NEC, we have revised Form 1099-MISC and rearranged box numbers for reporting certain income. Form 1099-MISC no longer contains a box for non-employee compensation.  That box has been moved to the 1099-NEC for reporting purposes

sharyld99
Returning Member

that didn't work either.  it created a duplicate form which i was able to delete.  still have 1 worksheet that cannot be deleted.

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

You must enter the EIN on the 1099-misc and then you can delete it.

sharyld99
Returning Member

i did that...it doesn't work.

i also deleted the schedule c again...it doesn't work.

been on hold with tech support for 45 minutes...her suggestions don't work either.

its a bug.  can you open a ticket??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies