turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can someone at Turbotax answer my earlier question about why I get "needs review" when entering amount that is from U.S. treasury obligations from 1099-DIV?

Apparently, I am not alone, and every year there seems to be some glitch like this that delays the preparation of my tax form.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Can someone at Turbotax answer my earlier question about why I get "needs review" when entering amount that is from U.S. treasury obligations from 1099-DIV?

This is a known issue that we are working on. Please refer to the following article to be included on the email list.

1099-DIV with Exempt Interest Income Needs Review After Entering

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When I click on that link the issue comes up and it says SOLVED.  It is not solved (highlighted in green).  When will it be solved?  It's been 7 days since I first talked to someone about this.  

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@ripfis7er This issue is not yet resolved, although we are working diligently to solve the problem.  Please try the link again and sign up for updates (if you haven't already):  1099-DIV with exempt interest income shows "needs review" after entering information

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I got an email yesterday saying this issue was fixed.  It is still not working for me.  I am still getting "needs review" on my 1099s that involve tax-exempt or US Government Interest.

@ripfis7er   @pegandjim4546 

IF you are indicating that part of box 1a is from US Bond interest on one of the follow-up pages....there is a bug if box numbers lower on the sheet underneath box 2a have not been used..

but a simple workaround :

go back and 

1) Edit the 1099-DIV in question

2)  On the page that shows boxes 1a, 1b and 2a....just click on the box to show all the other boxes ( you apparently don't need )  "My form has info in other boxes" 

3)  Scroll to the bottom of the page, and hit "Continue"

4) Next page make sure you have the "A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest" and hit "Continue"

5) Enter the US govt interest in the box provided and continue out to the 1099-DIV table.

should be OK now.......don't uncheck that box in step #2 or it will go away again.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

OK, so that fixed the "needs review" I was seeing on the 1099s that had "A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest", but my 1099 that has tax-exempt interest entered in Box 11 still says "needs review".   The amounts I entered in the Tax-exempt interest amount field total the amount of interest I entered as exempt from federal taxes.

Similar screwball thing.......if box 11 has the only $$ on that 1099-DIV, you need at least a 0.00 in box 1a   (or at least you did 2 weeks ago).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

of course!  That did the trick.  Thank you so much.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies