Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my 16 year old file her own taxes?

My daughter worked last year and made roughly $3500 in wages.  Can she file her own taxes?  Will she still be considered my dependent?  Should I just include her income on my taxes and if so, where do I add that information?  Thanks!!!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You do not include a dependent child's earned income on your tax return.  You can still claim the child as a dependent under the Qualifying Child rules. The child can file their own tax return and receive a refund of the taxes withheld.  They must indicate on their tax return that they can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child. 

6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.

7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

You do not include a dependent child's earned income on your tax return.  You can still claim the child as a dependent under the Qualifying Child rules. The child can file their own tax return and receive a refund of the taxes withheld.  They must indicate on their tax return that they can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child. 

6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.

7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

Thank you!!! Very helpful
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

@Tellis50. Yes. Whuke she may not be required to with a low enough income amount, if she has withholding, she can file to get her refund.

Please see dependent filing requirements below.

Single dependents under age 65 or older or blind

You must file a return if any of the following apply.

1. Your unearned income was more than $1,100.

2. Your earned income was more than $12,200.

3. Your gross income was more than the larger of— a. $1,100, or b. Your earned income (up to $11,850) plus $350.

knl0422

Does the child create their own Turbo Tax account or use my log in?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, your 16 year old can file her own taxes.  She will have to use her own TurboTax account to file.  She can not use your account to file her return.   If she does file she needs to check the box Someone can claim: You as a dependent on her Form 1040. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does the minor also check : they are claiming me on their tax return?

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 10.17.39 PM.png

Yes probably.  They should be being claimed on someone else's return.   Why wouldn't a parent or whoever claim them?

I just wanted to make sure we are doing it correctly

where can l fill my tax’s out at 16.

@Carolina117

CAN I FILE A RETURN IF I AM A DEPENDENT?

If you can be claimed as a dependent on your parents’ return, you can still file your own return so that you can receive a refund of taxes withheld.  (You will not get back anything for Social Security or Medicare withheld.) Be sure that on your own return you say that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/dependents/help/when-do-i-have-to-answer-yes-to-being-claimed-as-a...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
sg228

My son, who is 16 years old and got his W2 as worked for a summer camp and earned $ 1247, how I can add that amount into our file, or does he have a file on his own? Looks like he has to do this on his own using his own online account, but none of the online accounts not let him sign up at the age of 16, asking for at least 18 years of age. So, how to file for him? Please advise it.

@sg228

MY DEPENDENT HAD A JOB

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc or 1099NEC then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.

You might also want to use free software from the IRS Free File versions:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies