Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I still use TurboTax to complete and e file my taxes if I need form 970, which is not supported?

The answer to another question about gift tax reporting indicates TurboTax doesn’t support form 970 but that it can be downloaded from the IRS. I need to use 970 for 2022. So does this mean I have to find another product or service to use this year. Doesn’t make sense to use a product if I can’t efile.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Can I still use TurboTax to complete and e file my taxes if I need form 970, which is not supported?

You can use TurboTax to prepare and e-file your 2022 income tax return. Your Form 1040 income tax return has nothing to do with a Form 709 gift tax return. Form 709 is not part of your income tax return and cannot be filed with your income tax return. It's a completely separate tax return. Gift tax is not income tax.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are you sure you mean a form 970 ???   https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-970

And the gift tax return is not supported by TT ... the form 709 is not filed with the income tax return ... you mail it in separately  :  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-709

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can use TurboTax to prepare and e-file your 2022 income tax return. Your Form 1040 income tax return has nothing to do with a Form 709 gift tax return. Form 709 is not part of your income tax return and cannot be filed with your income tax return. It's a completely separate tax return. Gift tax is not income tax.

Thank you. I didn’t realize it was separate.

Thank you and yes, I meant the gift tax form 😆. I didn’t realize it was sent in separately from the regular return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies