Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Can I still claim my son as a dependent if he made 19,000$?

@Paola Briceno - Probably not, with those income figures. But it's possible. You have to do the support calculation. Here's a worksheet:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

If your daughter is a full time student under 24, and lives at home the qualifying child (QC) support test is that she didn't provide more than half her own support. So any scholarships would be considered third party support and not support provided by her. If you own your home, the support value is the fair market rental value divided by the number of occupants.

tleo

what do I do now?  My son already filed his taxes and DID NOT mark that someone can claim him as a dependent.  The IRS has rejected my e-file.

@tleo wrote:

what do I do now?  My son already filed his taxes and DID NOT mark that someone can claim him as a dependent.  The IRS has rejected my e-file.

Your son has to amend his tax return to change his dependency status.

An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return.

See this TurvrboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/01/123845...

You will have to print and mail your tax return since a tax return with his name and SS number has already been received and accepted by the IRS.  You keep him as a dependent on your tax return.  If you are due a tax refund the IRS will pay the refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

My daughter is 24, made $30,000 and a full time grad student.  Can I claim her

@Michael20bradley13 wrote:

My daughter is 24, made $30,000 and a full time grad student.  Can I claim her

No you cannot claim her as your dependent.  Since she is 24 then she can no longer be claimed under the Qualifying Child rules where their income was not a factor.  She could only be claimed under the Qualifying Relative rules where if she has gross income of $4,200 or more then no one can claim her as a dependent.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.
2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household.
3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,200 (social security does not count) in 2019
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.
5. The person must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S., Canada, or Mexico resident for some part of the year.
6. The person must not file a joint return with their spouse.

My 22 son was full time student from Jan to June 2019 ( I provided for his support), then he took a 6 month internship (lived with me). Jan 2020,he went back to college to finish his undergraduate.  IS he considered full time student since he attended school for 5 months and worked for 6 months? If yes, then I can claim him as dependent. Please advise. Thank you. 

@Jesshere wrote:

My 22 son was full time student from Jan to June 2019 ( I provided for his support), then he took a 6 month internship (lived with me). Jan 2020,he went back to college to finish his undergraduate.  IS he considered full time student since he attended school for 5 months and worked for 6 months? If yes, then I can claim him as dependent. Please advise. Thank you. 

Since he is under the age of 24 and a full time student for at least 5 months during the year, you should be able to claim him as your dependent under the Qualifying Child rules if he meets all the requirements.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

Zeeayy17

Hi, can I be claimed as a dependent by a sibling I live with? I’m currently 23, I was a full time student last year for the majority of the year, and made 25K. 

@Zeeayy17 wrote:

Hi, can I be claimed as a dependent by a sibling I live with? I’m currently 23, I was a full time student last year for the majority of the year, and made 25K. 

If you provided over one-half of your own support then you cannot be claimed as a dependent.  Also, you must be younger than your sibling.

See this IRS website for determining support - https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

Zeeayy17

Hi, I’m 24 now and a full time student. I don’t live at home anymore. And made more than 4,200 in 2020. Can I be claimed as a dependent?

No.  If you are over 23 and made more than 4,300 you can not be claimed anymore.  So be sure on your return you check NO if someone else can claim you under My Info.    Your parents will have to remove you completely from their return.

@Zeeayy17 - which also means that when you complete your 2020 tax return, you would be eligible for both stimulus payments, even though you didn't receive a payment last spring.  Watch Line 40 of Form 1040 which is where the stimulus reconciliation will occur. 

Truedime
Returning Member

I have a 19 y/o son. He works full-time and is not in school. He has lived with me for the entire 2020 and made about maybe 19,000 last year. Can I still claim him on my taxes. He pays for everything on his own that he needs except rent and I don't make him pay any utilities except his phone bill. Can I still claim him and if not. Do I take him totally off my taxes? Lastly, if I am able to leave him on my taxes can he file his own? 

If he made more than 4,300 and is not a full time student you can not claim him anymore.  Take him completely off your return.  Go to My Info and delete him.  Or when did he turn 19?  

Rules to claim a dependent
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/rules-for-claiming-a-dependent-on-your-tax-return/L8LODb...

PattiF
Expert Alumni

No, you are not able to claim your son with his income of $19,000. The income threshold for a dependent is $12,400. You would totally remove him from your tax return. He would file his own tax return and claim himself.

Here is an article about claiming a dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies