Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elwcpa
Returning Member

Can I reinstall prior years' Turbotax programs? My old computer suddenly died, and my backups don't include the program files, so I have data files, but no programs.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Can I reinstall prior years' Turbotax programs? My old computer suddenly died, and my backups don't include the program files, so I have data files, but no programs.

2016-2019.  Older years are not supported so updates and state downloads might not be available.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Yes.  In fact you always have to install programs.  You can not move them.  But if you install them you can only get updates for  the last 3 years and you won't be able to download any state programs.  

You only need the file ending in .tax2018 to transfer into 2019.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2015, .tax2016, .tax2017 or .tax2018 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

elwcpa
Returning Member

I have the backup data files, etc., but where can I download the actual Turbotax programs? I need to file a 2018 return.  I filed other 2018 returns, and I have the 2017 file for the late return I need to do.

@elwcpa wrote:

I have the backup data files, etc., but where can I download the actual Turbotax programs? I need to file a 2018 return.  I filed other 2018 returns, and I have the 2017 file for the late return I need to do.

You use the CD or download from where you purchased the download from.   If TurboTax it wound be in MyDownloads on your account.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I need to amend previous years taxes. I have CD's of those years, but my new computer doesn't have a CD drive. How can I get downloads without paying for "new" software?

What years?  You can ask support.Contact Customer Service You  need to pick the CD/Download program in the product drop down box.   
5am-5pm Pacific Time Monday -Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

You can try downloading the amend programs.  I assume you still have the .tax files?

2018 Amend programs

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/amend/ty18

2017 Amend program

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/amend/ty17/

Thanks Volvo Girl,

I finally found their number by googling it. I am actually on the phone with them and getting the downloads now.

You can not get their number by searching.  There is only one way.  And support is only open M-F 5 to 5 pacific time.

You might have got a fake place that will scam or spam you or steal your identity or put virus and malware on your computer.  And they might charge you a lot.  Good luck.  I wouldn't trust it.

The only published phone number is 1 (800) 446-8848 which is the Intuit headquarters number and not the TurboTax support division.  If you call that number then you will probably be place in a queue and will need to wait.  When  finally answered and you say that it is  TurboTax issue then they can only transfer you to the TurboTax queue and you wait again - where you should have called in the first place.

Carl
Level 15

YOu can save yourself all this hassle if you just find any computer that does have a DVD drive. Then copy the contends from the DVD to a USB thumbdrive. Then you can install it on your new computer from the thumbdrive.

Replies from VolvoGirl helps a lot.  Thank you!

I kept the CD's so I used them to reinstall the old Turbo Tax software, although I can download them from intuit.com, per VolvoGirl's recommended URL links.  When you re-install these older version of Turbo Tax, the installation program will prompt you to download the state software.  If you have simple tax return that requires only one state, then the "single" state download is free.  No issue here, so log into your intuit account and download.  Continue on with the installation as prompted on the screen.  Done!

However, if you have more than 1 state, then the installation software requires you to purchase the additional state downloads which undoubtedly you had already paid for when you first install this version of Turbo Tax years ago.  Stop here and exit the installation program.   Next, download the required state  software you had already purchased from your intuit account.  You can find these files in the

[  Product & Billing  ] 

link in your account.  Go to this link and click the right-arrow [  >  ] key in your Turbo Tax product's section.  It brings you to all the Turbo Tax products you had bought in past years.  Click on the

[  Manage My TurboTax  ] icon. 

This will bring you to your "Turbo Tax Account" page.  Click on the

[  download  ] link

to get to the download page.  Scroll down until you find the state software product that you had paid for, and click on the

[  Window Download  ] button. 

This will download an .exe file which will install the state software product on your computer. 

Once you download all the purchased state software for the year you are trying to re-install, go back and launch the Turbo Tax installer again.   It will not prompt you for state downloads, and continue to install the Turbo Tax software.

You will have to do this to re-install older Turbo Tax business version since they don't come with a free state download.  The process is the same -- try to re-install the software until it prompts you to download the state.  Exit the installation software and download and run the .exe from your intuit account.  Go back and re-launch the installation software and continue to install the Turbo Tax product as instructed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies